URGENT - buying the D80 / D200 / D100?

kazzywazzy000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am urgently needing some advice about which of the above digital SLRs to buy (the Nikon D80, D200 or D100).

I have just started a photographic course, and am also doing work experience with a professional wedding photographer. I am taking my own shots at weddings and will in the near future be doing some freelance work of my own.

I have searched on Ebay for the D80 and the D200 (which are both pretty expensive! - I can't afford new ones but might be able to stretch to a secondhand Ebay one if need be). My photographer uses the D200 and she recommended to me either the D200, D80 or D70.

But today I called a Cash Converters store which has a D100 in as-new condition, with two lenses and original kit including software, for around AU$1000. Unfortunately I don't understand the fundamental differences between these three models.

Questions:

1) Is the D100 a higher model than the D80? (Prices would indicate yes, but I don't know enough about technicalities to judge by specifications)

2) Would the D100 be sufficient for my needs?

3) Is this D100 (from Cash Converters) a good deal?

4) If not, what is the best solution you could recommend?

5) Is there any problem with swapping the lenses that come with the D100 between a Nikon F80 SLR camera as needed?

Thanks in advance to everybody who takes the time to help me in this - I really appreciate it!!!!

If you can afford it, go for the D200. From the sounds of it, you are more than likely going to really get into photography and after you've spent almost a grand on a camera you are going to really want the D200. Especially if you like the Nikon format. You are beginning to take photography courses and more than likely will want to try crazy unique things. Not saying the D80 can't do that but the D200 will do more. All I am saying is, is that you will spend all this money buying the D80 when perhaps in a few months you will wish you had just put that money toward the D200. Your friend has the D200.... if they had the D80 I would go for the D80 but they have the D200. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors camera...... but hey, it happens. :er:

The D100 isnt very flexible with custom shutter settings in A or P mode, plus other quirks... i would avoid this camera, especially second hand.

i looked into the differences between the D80 and D200 and theres not many... and decided on a D80
there just isnt enough between them to warrent the extra cash IMO

As said above, I would avoid the D100. The D200 is a much better fit for professional photographers than the D80 based on durability and the buffer alone, but in the end spend what your budget allows - lot's of people shoot with the D80 and are happy with it... I had one until I recently sold it to buy my 2nd D200.

Having said all that, I think you will find the D80 has too small a memory buffer for wedding work - no matter what card you jam in there it just can't burst off 10 or 20 shots like the D200 can without some catchup. The faster speed of the D200 is also handy for wedding work.

dewey, since you have had both.... how did you find the life of the battery on both models??

i have read that the performance of the battery on the D200 is only a quarter of that of the D80?? is that true?

Most reactions

Back