urgent!

nikoliB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
guys i really need your help! ill be going to a formal party later, then I'm the one who's going to be the in-charge in taking the pics and I'm really pressured because i haven't tried taking pics on people, in only used things as subject :grumpy:

any advice? or setting that i will use? and i think ill just bring the 50mm f1.8 later is that enough??? and do i need to bring my flash? huhu. guys I'm really scared!:pale:

Last edited:
What setting to use?

The people setting, of course.

The Bronx
What are you shooting with, a 45 automatic or something smaller like a 22?

Sorry, I could not resist.

First, do not be scared, that always affects peoples ability to do well.

Your concern should be to get as many shots without them noticing you are photographing. So be quiet and unassuming. Try to work without the flash if you can.

I cannot help too much with the settings, that is what the other guys here do.

If this does not help to much, stay home and tell them you are snowed in...:mrgreen:

Can't give you settings, because that would depend on what the lighting conditions are... But I would bring that and a wider angle lens. You may run out of room backing up to fit group of people with that 50mm.

I forgot to mention.
Bring a tripod if you have one. This way towards the end of the party you can get a nice group shot. By then most there will know you are shooting and somme may have had a few...and they are usually standing in front of the camera just waiting for you.

guys i really need your help! ill be going to a formal party later, then I'm the one who's going to be the in-charge in taking the pics and I'm really pressured because i haven't tried taking pics on people, in only used things :grumpy:

any advice? or setting that i will use? and i think ill just bring the 50mm f1.8 later is that enough??? and do i need to bring my flash? huhu. guys I'm really scared!:pale:
Sounds like you're pretty much hosed nikoli.

When did you find out you'd be the primary shooter for this shindig, early this morning?

What setting to use?

The people setting, of course.

You mean all this time I have been using the Landscape setting when I should have been using the people setting!? No wonder everyone had a majestic forhead in my portraits.:lol:

First off, if you have a secure place at the party, bring everything (I am assuming you do not have a TON of equipment) Limiting yourself to one lens is silly. As for a flash, I bring mine everywhere my camera goes- and end up using it about 50% of the time or less.

Settings.... well that depends on a lot of different conditions. If you have the access, go early to the venue and test out different setups. I find that this helps calm the nerves and lets your brain think more clearly, the more time here the better.

Last. Find out what the promoter of the party is looking for, if they are looking for pro images, you might want to suggest they hire a pro. Some people just assume that if you have a bigger camera, then your shots are going to be fantastic.

Calm down and good luck

p!nK

Can't give you settings, because that would depend on what the lighting conditions are... But I would bring that and a wider angle lens. You may run out of room backing up to fit group of people with that 50mm.

i got a limited resources right now and still don't have any wide angle lens:grumpy:
i only got the 50mm and 70-300mm:lol:

First off, if you have a secure place at the party, bring everything (I am assuming you do not have a TON of equipment) Limiting yourself to one lens is silly. As for a flash, I bring mine everywhere my camera goes- and end up using it about 50% of the time or less.

Settings.... well that depends on a lot of different conditions. If you have the access, go early to the venue and test out different setups. I find that this helps calm the nerves and lets your brain think more clearly, the more time here the better.

Last. Find out what the promoter of the party is looking for, if they are looking for pro images, you might want to suggest they hire a pro. Some people just assume that if you have a bigger camera, then your shots are going to be fantastic.

Calm down and good luck

p!nK

i think we will be going there before the party because my mom is somewhat the incharge of the decors, ill just try all the setting that i can get later. and i doubt if they are looking for a pro photographer, they only need someone to take pictures. oh well! thanks!

Last edited:
and i doubt if they are looking for a pro photographer, they only need someone to take pictures. oh well! thanks!

Still a good idea just to clarify. Like I said, some people assume too much these days....

p!nK

Most reactions

Back