Used D700 Question

fsquare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a chance to pick up a used D700. I can't see myself spending upwards of $3000 with taxes on a new one. I have someone locally selling one for $1800 with 15,000 actuations. Cosmetically it is pristine. All accessories and the box are available as well. I'm planning to sell my D300s and my only DX lens for it. What do you guys think? I'm still left with 3 FX lenses...just need to pick up a wide angle to replace my DX lens. Looking at the 16-35mm

Yes thats a good price

Barely broke in like that they are fetching around $2,000 in Tampa.

If its what he says it is you won't regret using a D700, I promise you.

That's a very, very good price.

have him email you a photo and personally check the shutter count in the exif data to make sure he's being honest. But that's a very good step up from the D300 for sure.

Thanks guys. I already checked the actuations. I am going to meet him tonight and from there i'll give it a go with one of my lenses. There aren't much being sold used around my area but when they do sell they are usually in the $1800-2000 range. One with 14,000 actuations and 8GB CF card just sold recently AND QUICKLY for $1850.

Good luck, can't wait to see some photos if you pick it up!

Don't meet him in a dark alley especially if he's expecting you to have the cash in hand :D
Good luck!

That sounds like a good price to me; they're going for $1800-2000 in the Victoria area. As for the 16-35, it's a good lens, BUT it does have some nasty barrel distortion at the wide end. I did a review of mine last year. You can find it here.

That sounds like a good price to me; they're going for $1800-2000 in the Victoria area. As for the 16-35, it's a good lens, BUT it does have some nasty barrel distortion at the wide end. I did a review of mine last year. You can find it here.

Thanks! What would recommend that i wouldn't have to sell my first born for?

I would go with the 16-35; it's only about $1200, and as I said in my review, when it's used under normal conditions, it's great even at 16mm & wide-open. It's not so good if you're a pixel-peeper, or if you're going to be doing a LOT of ultra-wide work, but really, there are only two Nikkor options: the 16-35 and the 14-24, which is $500 more. There are some other offerings from Sigma, Tokina, etc, but I can't comment on them.

And that 14-24 is just... just.... just.... :drool:

Destin said:

First, congratulations on acquiring a D700. Excellent decision. You will have a lot of fun with it.

Now regarding that 14-24, it is a perfect match for D700. I used to own one but sold it later. The only issue I see with that lens is that you cannot attach a filter to it.

Tell me about it! I want one so bad!!!:gah:

That is what I need to complete my "Holy Trinity"!

Great snag if you end up with the D700.

Thank you all again for the info.

I picked it up, AS DESCRIBED. Time to have some fun...what i hate is having to set up all my menus and the function button again

Most reactions

New Topics

Back