What's new

Used lens vs brand new

Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
3,719
Reaction score
534
Location
Here N There
One thing I realized is that it makes more sense for me to get a good used lens as opposed to brand new ones. For one, the cost of brand new is much higher due to many reasons (more advanced technology and freshness etc). When looking at used lens, I can get very decent lens or good quality for good prices. Not only that, if kept up well, I may even break even when selling it again.

I bought an AIS F2.8 20mm lens last September and sold it two days ago for the same price I bought it at.

I just bought another lens for a good deal with confidence that if I decide to sell it later, it should fetch similar value if I maintain it well.

If I get a brand new lens, as soon as I break its cover, I can't fetch the same value anymore.

Therefore, the one lesson I've learnt here is, the value of good lens is stabilized after its first resale. Of course this won't apply to every case especially entry-level lens, but it does open up my options as to what is available for my needs. What do you think?


Disclaimer: If I am a professional depending on shooting perfect shots for a living, I definitely want the latest and greatest.
 
Last edited:
Also, as a result of this, I start to examine what I really need out of a lens, which makes one think about his own shooting style.

Do I need VR?
Does it have to be ED?
Can I survive without AF?
Is G lens good enough or do I need the aperture ring?

I think it is easy to just jump in and get the latest assuming that it meets all of my needs, but what really are my needs? So other than the optics aspect, most of it is convenience issue and that's a lot more negotiable.
 
Yep... perfect example: Brand-new 400mm f2.8 AF VRII - $10,500.00; late 80s vintage 400mm f2.8 MF - $2,500.00.
 
Downside to the 400 2.8FD, if you can't manual focus it's a very tough lens to learn on, even if you can manual focus it's still a tough lens to use unless you've spent a lot of time using one. The other downside to buying used will depend on the photographer that was using it before hand and if it's had any repairs. The Canon 70-200 2.8 is a great lens but does have a major flaw in the barrel, after alot of use it becomes really loose, attempts to tighten it usualy don't end up perfect.

However, exceptions to everything, if you find the right guy that likes to upgrade alot, you can pick up some pretty good deals.
 
nothing wrong buying used, all my film gear is used :p
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom