Used Nikon d100

optimumw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi... i am new to photography and i want to buy my first dslr...also i have a very limited budget...i found a used d100 like new with 3000 clicks with also the battery grip and everything else for about 90-100$...at your opinion is it worth to buy such an old dslr at this price? and also i am afraid that the picture quality will be light years difference with modern dslrs...what is your opinion? thank you

Last edited:
The image quality is mostly up to the photographer using a camera within its limitations, but the features and capabilities of the D100 have definitely been surpassed by newer designs.

Of course the newer designs will cost you more, even used, than a D100 even though in it's day the D100 was a prosumer grade DSLR.

If you can afford to double your budget you might want to consider a used prosumer grade Nikon D200 for $200 to $250:
Nikon D200 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)

For $450 - $500 you can get a prosumer grade D300:
Nikon D300 DX 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)

For $300 or so you can get a compact, entry-level Nikon D3100:
Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
hi thank you for the answer...i forgot to to say tha ti have also in my mind the d70...my logic is to start first with an old cheap dslr and then if i demand more maybe i will buy a better new body...this guy that sells me the d100 told me that is a great price for this camera with this condition and also the battery grip...and also he guarantees me that the picture quality will be ok to start...i also thinking to buy a nikon 18-200mm vr to go with...

The D50 has an internal auto focus motor so it can auto focus the older Nikon lenses so that's a big bonus. You'd be able to AF with awesome older lenses.

hi... i am new to photography and i want to buy my first dslr...also i have a very limited budget...i found a used d100 like new with 3000 clicks with also the battery grip and everything else for about 90-100$...at your opinion is it worth to buy such an old dslr at this price? and also i am afraid that the picture quality will be light years difference with modern dslrs...what is your opinion? thank you

I used to have this camera years ago and cannot imagine anyone to use it today

I used to have this camera years ago and cannot imagine anyone to use it today

I had this camera as well. (More than one actually) It is a very capable camera for the money and there's no reason someone could not take great pictures with it.
You can't beat it for $100.
Just because a camera is old, does not mean it is any less capable than they day it was released.

yes i understand...how about picture quality...both d100 d70 shares the same sensor...6.1mp ccd...the image quality is going to be the same?? or at the d70 the sensor was improved for image quality later??

The D100 is "fine"... but it was literally Nikon's first try at the prosumer camera, and it has all the hallmarks of a first try.

For 2x the price, you get a D200... which is about 10x the camera. They worked out the ergonomic issues, it has a much bigger LCD, far better overall image processing, etc. It's SO worth it to scrounge and save a little longer and get a better device.

Will the D100 work for you? Sure. It's a fine cam. It's just that the D200 is SO MUCH better that it's staggering.

yes i understand...how about picture quality...both d100 d70 shares the same sensor...6.1mp ccd...the image quality is going to be the same?? or at the d70 the sensor was improved for image quality later??

The d100 has a built in focus motor. The d70 does not.
Depending on what your budget is, I would try and get a d200 if possible.

The D70 does indeed have a AF motor and screw-drive system in it.

Only the Nikon compact DSLRs - D40, D40x, D60, D3xxx, and D5xxx - don't have an AF motor.

I too would choose a D200 before a D70.

yes of course the d200 will be the best choice...but the main problem is that i cannot spend 200$ right now for this camera...but overall i found out that the d70 is better choice than d100...

yes of course the d200 will be the best choice...but the main problem is that i cannot spend 200$ right now for this camera...but overall i found out that the d70 is better choice than d100...

IF you go with the 18~105 instead of the 18~200 you could free up enough to get the D200.

The 18~105 will shoot most of what you will want to shoot and save for the 70~300 later if you want more reach.

I've had both the D100 and the D200. I still have the D200.

I shoot a D800, but I still have a D200.

Just saying. :)

The D70 is plenty capable as a first dslr,as is the D100 and the D200.
If it was me,and it was a couple of years ago,I'd start with the one you can afford.
None of them are going to teach you anything at all about lighting,posing,exposure,composition or anything else that really matters anyway.
And 6.1 MP is probably 3 times more than the average beginner needs.

If you're going D70, get a D70S.

I still think you should just wait a while, save up your pennies, and buy the D200. The D100/D70 generation of camera is... pretty weak.

Anything below the D200 is way old tech,but that is only my opinion...........Wait awhile save a few more $$$ and get the D200 if you can't afford anything better..........

Most reactions

New Topics

Back