What's new

Using a monopod

cougargal

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 4, 2010
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

So I'm thinking of purchasing a monopod. How do they compare to a tripod? Anyone?
 
I have a 6 foot monopod that I bought for 30 bucks, and even though it was so inexpensive, it's great! The reason I went for the monopod is because of the portability. If you're doing lots of shooting where you need the stable platform but don't have much room to move/move a lot, monopods are usually the way to go. The lightweighness of them is great too. If you have a d90 or other recording slr, you can use them to stabilize your recorded shots by just holding it a little above the whole camera-monopods center of gravity and it makes everything smooth:)

Tripods on the other hand are an actual stable platform that can free-stand. I wish I had one for long exposures and sit down portraits, but I don't.

Just decide whether you will be shooting while on the move and standing up, or not.

I'm sure I've missed something huge though...
 
What do you plan on using the monopod for?

They can give you more stability than just hand holding the camera, but you still have to have your hands on the camera, so they aren't a substitute for a tripod.
 
Thanks for all the feedback. I will definetly consider your points.

The main reason I was considering the monopod is because my husband and I attend alot of classic car shows so I was looking for something light weight to carry around between cars, and there tends to be alot of people moving about looking at the cars. I thought it might be easier then lugging a tripod from car to car and around all the people.
 
A monopod is a fantastic accessory when using a larger or heavy camera for long periods of time, or when mobility is the key. A monopod stops up-and-down camera movement quite well, and just the elimination of up-and-down camera movement can give you two or three or four or even five stops' more hand-holding speed. With a big,heavy camera/lens combination, or with ANY lens/camera combo at the start and end of the day when the light is low, a monopod can really,really help steady the camera. Using a VR or IS lens on a monopod is kind of like the best of all worlds---really good steady images on still shots; excellent panning photos; plus a nice stick to lean on !
 
I've shot a 4s exposure with my film camera on my monopod of the ocean just bracing the pod/camera/body up against a BIG boulder. It wasn't razor sharp, but it was clean enough. When you think about the majority of camera movement while shooting, it is up and down. I think for car shows and things of the sort, a monopod would be better so you don't have to ask people to move out of your way with a tripod. You can always get a tripod later if you need one!
 
My hands are always very shaky, so I figure it cant hurt to try a monopod. Maybe I'll give one a try, then will purchase a tripod sometime in the future. Thanks for all the input.
 
I have a cheapo monopod (Dynex I think, from Best Buy) that I use at races, car shows and places with a lot of people like you are describing. Works really well!
 
love the mono pod, make sure its one that can switch from portrait to landscape with a simple swivel head ball joint, that's what I love about mine. its a must for me when i was shopping for a monopod.

here is a link to the style that I like but I am sure you can find them cheaper if you shop.
Monopod With Ball Head
 
I have a monopod, but I mostly got it for use as a lightstick which works out quite well. For other use it does greatly help with hand holding ability at low shutter speeds.
 
My monopod gets a fair amount of use. It's great for zoos, sporting events, hiking. It stands up to a fairly heavy load like a gripped D700 w/ 70-200mm lens and a SB800 flash. You can see it here.

The one suggestion I can offer is to make sure it will hold more than your heaviest body and lens combined, also the swivel head is a great addition.
 
I actually spent more $$$ on a monopod than my tripod... As much as I like my tripod, the monopod travels with me more often... I found it well worth the investment.

If your going to be shooting long periods with heavy equipment, the monopod keeps the arms rested and steadier for longer shoots.
 
Thanks to everyone for all the great feedback. I definetely think I'll be heading out to pick one up.

Take care,
 
They also make a few monopods now that have three little feet that you can extend on the bottom and it will stand upright without you touching it. Granted you would definately not want to walk away because it will have a very high center of gravity and could tip with the slightest bump or wind, but you could atleast let go all together and shoot with a cable release or something. Here is one that includes a mini ball-head as well....

Trek-Tech | TrekPod II With MagMount Star | 00110 | B&H Photo

Here is another that looks like it has more segments to adjust the height....

Manfrotto | 682B Self Standing Monopod (Black) | 682B | B&H
 
I only use my monopod when i'm using my 300mmF2.8L, with anything else they are a pain, shooting cars you shouldn't need one, it make me laugh when i see one being use with anything smaller than my 300
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom