Using Flash Properly

naaaach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was browsing TPF just now and saw this thread. The conversation got interesting. Being a beginner myself, I wanted to ask all the pros...when do I use flash? And how?

The thread had amazing examples of achieving great results with flash.

I have no idea on how I would go about achieving those results. All I have, by the way, for flash, is the on-board built-in flash on my D90.

Any protips are appreciated!

I have no idea on how I would go about achieving those results. All I have, by the way, for flash, is the on-board built-in flash on my D90.

Step 1, get a real flash
The worse place for a flash is right above the lens as the popup is

Step 2, learn to bounce the flash off things to diffuse the light

Step 3, learn to get that flash off camera (by cord, by radio trigger, optical trigger, whatever)

Well this was using flash but then someone mentioned to pay attention to where to place the flash so it doesn't create shadows. So since then I always pay attention to where I place flash and make sure it's head on so there's no harsh shadows from nose on their faces. But this is from when I first started. Used a strobe with vagabond II and if I did that again, I'd place the flash on my left instead of on my right. So pay attention to where you place your flash.

59202_155448117813136_145244588833489_381727_6308440_n.jpg

Well this was using flash but then someone mentioned to pay attention to where to place the flash so it doesn't create shadows. So since then I always pay attention to where I place flash and make sure it's head on so there's no harsh shadows from nose on their faces.

I dont get why people are so scared of shadows. Yes, it is important to get your subject well light, but using the shadows to create depth amd dimension is just as imporant. You need to be mindful of where the shadows fall, but playing with the shadows is just as important as playing with light...and you need both to make a dramatic image.

Sure, there are cases where you want less shadows, something like corporate headshots, but when you are doing something with a bit more artistic flare, use those shadows

I was browsing TPF just now and saw this thread. The conversation got interesting. Being a beginner myself, I wanted to ask all the pros...when do I use flash? And how?

The thread had amazing examples of achieving great results with flash.

Wow, talk about asking for a book...

The simplest answer is you use strobes (interchangable with flash) when you need lighting that's not ambient to get the exposure and image you want. I know that's vague at best, but you could do anything from using flash to add fill light if you're shooting outside so you don't have harsh shadows. In the same instance, you could use a very powerful flash to underexpose the ambient and create a dark and dramatic photo at high noon.

And what's alread been said, get a real flash and get it off camera. Your pop up flash is not powerful at all, which is why you can take a photo in a darker room with it, and the only thing properly exposed will be your subject while everything behind is underexposed and in front is over. It also causes harsh shadows from being a direct light source and causes red eye in most situations.

One of the biggest things you're going to have to wrap your head around when using flahses is that you're now getting two exposures. You're getting everything lit by ambient and everything lit by flash; your settings on the camera will generally control how each exposure affects each other.

Well this was using flash but then someone mentioned to pay attention to where to place the flash so it doesn't create shadows. So since then I always pay attention to where I place flash and make sure it's head on so there's no harsh shadows from nose on their faces.

I dont get why people are so scared of shadows. Yes, it is important to get your subject well light, but using the shadows to create depth amd dimension is just as imporant. You need to be mindful of where the shadows fall, but playing with the shadows is just as important as playing with light...and you need both to make a dramatic image.

Sure, there are cases where you want less shadows, something like corporate headshots, but when you are doing something with a bit more artistic flare, use those shadows

Scared of what?

Thanks Big. When I posted those pix I got harsh C&C about how the shadows made the pix look so terrible.

Thanks Big. When I posted those pix I got harsh C&C about how the shadows made the pix look so terrible.

I think the lack of shadows are what is hurting that image.

When I say shadow, I don't mean the drop off shadow behind the subject that happens when your light is too strong, too close... I'm talking about shadows on the face and body...ie see VI's post above :)

Well I guess shawdows are accepted in some situations where you wouldn't want in other. Suppose in action shots like VI's it makes sense but in a shot for magazine cover, it may not.

Well I guess shawdows are accepted in some situations where you wouldn't want in other. Suppose in action shots like VI's it makes sense but in a shot for magazine cover, it may not.

I wouldn't label hard light as something you would use for one aspect of photography vs. another. It's more like use the lighting to create the shots you want. Shadows at depth, texture, and drama to photos. Generally photos with flat lighting are boring.

The below photo was done with one bare Alien Bee B800 above and to the right. The shadow of the hair obscures her eyes and gives it a look of mystery. Have the light so far off axis creates shadows that adds texture to the blinds behind the subject. The shadows on her collar bone and neck add depth.

And out of the bottom two, which do you prefer? I think the second photo is more dramtic than the first. This was acheived by adding a 2nd bare flash in the balcony and pointing it almost straight down to rake across the fabric and the wall, brining out the texture.

On camera flash, pointed directly at a subject is a harsh light and produces harsh, sharp edged shadows.

A light source that appears large, like a speedlight projected into a 60" wide photographic umbrella that is aimed at a subject, makes the light and the shadow edges softer.

Small light sources (including the Sun) need to be 'modified' so they appear larger.

Photoflex Lighting School - Your Free Lighting Lesson Resource

On camera flash, pointed directly at a subject is a harsh light and produces harsh, sharp edged shadows.

+1....

D90, Popup flash.

DSC_7813 by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

D90, SB-600 bounced off an umbrella camera left.

DSC_7820 by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

The popup flash can be used in a pinch for a light fill flash, that is just about it. If you see me shooting with mine up, 99% of the time I am using it to trigger strobes off camera.

p!nK

Thanks guys, these posts were quite helpful. I guess my first step is to actually invest in a pretty good flash.

Thanks guys, these posts were quite helpful. I guess my first step is to actually invest in a pretty good flash.

This is a good plan. In the meantime, you can still experiment with other types of lights and light modifiers. Some clamp lights with daylight rated bulbs and white sheeting for diffusion work wonders on indoor portrait for little to no money out of pocket. If outdoor photography is more your thing, a white sheet of poster board will serve as a very nice reflector for some fill.

Remember, a flash can only produce light- you must know how to control it from there.

p!nK

You might want to look for a used flash first. There are plenty of sites out there with decent used equipment out there. I bought my speedlite 420 ex on KEH.com for a pretty good price. They have a large selection there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back