Using FX and DX

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a FX camera (D850) on the way and will be using my DX (D7100) for my backup/2nd camera.

In the situation of using one for closer shots and one for longer shots in a quickly changing environment, which would you use for which situation and why?

Honestly, once you have an FX camera you'll probably not even want to use the DX. Why? The bigger, brighter, better view finder image makes the FX camera just simply work better than a DX body. That's my experience. Secondly, I don't like two different control layouts on two cameras, especially in a fast-pace shooting environment. I'd rather use just one camera and not switch between two cameras.

Last edited:
Under most circumstances, FX will do both. However, when 'reach' is needed, I grab the DX.

FX
DX with your longest lens to reach out further.
  • But switching back and forth between cameras with different controls in a fast moving situation, is just asking for a confusion problem.
  • I would plan to get a used D800 or 810 as a backup.
Then think about what to do with the D7100 + DX lesnses.
  • Sell the D7100 and the DX lenses.
  • Keep the D7100 just for the LONG shots, where the crop factor will get you more reach.
Until you get a GP lens for your FX, then D7100 with your 18-105/18-140. Once you get your FX GP lens, I would put the 18-105 away or as backup with the D7100.

Last edited:
Just shot a wedding with an d850 and 24-70 plus speed light and d500 with 70-200. The fact the controls are nearly completely identical is a solution to the issue that Derrel mentions. I fill the gap with an 85 1.4 and a fish eye in a hip pack. Ok, back up body and other primes in the truck. I get extra reach as well as magnification for detail shots on the 70-200. I find most shots are on the 850 combination. For off camera flash lit shots I just swap out the speed light for a trigger. I am just careful that a shot I want to print really large is on the 850 for the best print possible. Since that is usually at the wider end of the 24-70 it's not much of a problem. It alleviates the need to swap lenses in blowing sand at the beach. Derrel is absolutely right about preferring the FF, I am not easily impressed but was stunned at the image quality of the FF 850. I am getting set to do a side by side test of it against a MF film b&w shot for tonal transition. I don't need any more detail. Since I am usually shooting people with minimal environment, I have programmed the record button to allow me to switch from standard 35 mm 24-36 format to 24-30(4x5 ratio I crop down to in most people shots anyway and instead of storing 46 mp it reduces a file to 36.) 24-24 or square is one of my other favorites and that is 30 mp. Using 2 cameras set up that way enabled me to get a shot of a bride with a tear of sadness running down her cheek with a simultaneous smile I created. Two opposite genuine expressions in the same shot. Had been shooting an open horse drawn carriage with her surrounded by her younger children but when it started to develop with tears welling up, dropped the 24-70 camera and pulled up the 70-200 camera from over my shoulder and was instantly in a head and shoulders shot. Remember though, that is a about a 3 lb body(I leave off the battery pack) over your shoulder with a 3 lb lens and around the neck is another 3 lb body/pack, 2 lb lens and 2 lb flash. 7 lbs. That's close to 12-14 lbs hanging there for hours. Have been considering using the double black rapid but with the camera hanging straight down, the strobe seems to be sticking out inviting damage or bumping into things. Anyone shooting that way?

I'd like to add though,
that when I had my D500 (pro layout) and D750 (prosumer layout) the two distinct layouts were not confusing.

When I had my D7000 DX and D600 and D750 w/d600 the layouts were slightly different and created problems.

I think two distinct camera layouts would not be an issue, at least it wasn't for me.
Having 2 somewhat similar layouts is where one can get easily confused and messed up.

Although now I also use a D7200 with the D750 and button layout is a pretty good match; better than previous combinations. Although I haven't used them much lately.

As far as "reach", I'd be surprised if you didn't get better images just cropping the d850 files.
I bet the d7100 becomes a strict 'backup', used only if something goes wrong with the 850.
The 7100 will make a good camera to take pictures of the 850 :)

depends on the shoot. if it was an event, I'd put the long lens on the crop body where it would be used more sparingly. You wouldn't need to crop as much here. I'd want the wider lens that would be the workhorse, with the cropping power if you need to cut out bade elements in the frame.

In 6 weeks I have 3 family members graduating. I would like to get some good shots both for them and for practice at possibly charging for similar services in the future.

I know when I did one last year I had to do a lot of lens swaps between my 18-105 and 70-300. They did their graduation in a gym, so I ended up using my flash for most of it.

My original thought was to use the FX for closer shots due to better dynamic range and better ISO. But then I second guess ed my self thinking that might be better quality to use on the longer shots. I am very used to using my DX for longer shots, which are typically less forgiving then closer shots so that was another reason I was thinking DX for longer shots.

The other reason for using the FX for closer shots, is that I am only going to get one new FX lens before graduation. It will likely be a 24-70 2.8, but I can also use the 50mm or 85mm.

Any time during this event, if I have time to change lenses and use the FX I will.

If I find myself doing enough of this kind of work, another FX body is in my future, it just does not make sense for my situation right now.

FWIW, I forgot about the original question.
But I don't own any DX lenses. All FX lenses.
it all depends upon the situation of what lens on what camera.

If closeup are a priority then the FX gets my 24-85/2.8 lens and DX the 80-200/2.8 lens.
That gives me essentially FX 24-85 and DX 120-300 range - which is the normal dual camera setup.
If i swap the lenses then i get a DX 36-130 and FX 80-200 range - a lot of overlap.

for closeups I prefer the FX. But I'm also willing to swap lenses if given enough time.
For long range, it depends upon what "range" is defined as.

I was asked to do a wedding in June. which would be my FX 24-85 and DX 80-200 setup. Though, if light is too dim .. FX all the way.

If you are shooting with 2 cameras, forget the flash, too bulky and clumsy, at least for me.
If you need the flash, my preference is to shoot with one camera; get a 2nd shooter for the other camera, or ditch the other camera.
My preference is to shoot with 2 photographers. Plan and coordinate where to shoot from, and there is less running around.

Lens selection really depends on where you have access to shoot from, or are stuck in. And how much moving around can you do, and want to do, during the graduation?
Just for reference. In the film days, years ago I shot high school graduation with one camera, a 43-86 and 24 lenses, and a Honeywell Strobonar 800 flash. I did not bring the long lens, as I was already carrying borderline too much gear. The 24 was for the family gathering after the ceremony, as everyone is packed in very close, so you can't backup up very much.

First question, why do you need a long lens in a gym? Maybe if you are trying to do a TIGHT shot of just that grad in a mass of students. Or a long tight shot of the speakers? If you don't need it, ditch it. KISS

1st option
Try to rent a D850 (preferably), 810 or 800. Then you are working all FX and all D8xx cameras.
24-70 f/2.8 and 70-300

2nd option, similar to astro's recommendation.
FX - D850 with 24-70 f/2.8
DX - D7100 with 70-300 (105-450 FX equiv)

3rd option, one lens kit.
Rent a 24-120 f/4.
FX - D850 with 24-120 f/4 (this eliminates lens/camera changing)
(DX - D7100 with 18-105, as your backup camera.)

4th option, one lens kit
DX- D7100 with 18-105. This is a 28-158mm FX equivalent. The 18-105 is slow, so you have to crank up the ISO or use a flash.
If you want more reach, rent the 18-140 (28-210 FX equivalent). The 18-140 is slow.

Last edited:
Here are the reasons for 2 photogs:
  • The calling of the grads and presentation of diploma sometimes splits the graduates off in 2 directions, left and right. You cannot cover the actual presentation of the left line if you are covering the right line. This depends very much on the specific graduation script. It is all about angle of view.
  • If you are in the front near the stage, you cannot easily get the long speaker shot without running back, possibly disrupting the ceremony. So shooting from the front, you end up with the low angle shot of the speakers. This is like the wedding ceremony shot, one photog up front, and a 2nd in the back.
  • When the ceremony is over, and the family is gathering around the grad, you may not be able to cover more than a couple grads, because of the crowd and where the grads are (usually by last name). Adams and Williams will be FAR away from each other. I was lucky, I had one primary graduate to cover, so I did not have to go hunting in the mass of people. And because the grads were friends, they went and found each other for their group shot, and where I could shoot individual shots.

AC12, all good points, looked at from a professional aspect. At some point I will be there, but not this time. Not a paying gig, there will not be 2 shooters. For the same reason, renting equipment does not make sense. Is my kit "the best", not right now, but it is all very capable equipment.

Last year when I shot in this gym I used the 70-300 a lot due to my location. A majority of the shots were between 70-150. I did use my 18-105 a bit and I had to swap between lenses. This time I will have 2 bodies, so to me is makes sense to take advantage of that.

You were asking about distance. This image was shot from the bleachers, just above stage level at 70mm.

dsc_0003-jpg.156516

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 198
You did say "... for practice at possibly charging for similar services in the future."
So you have to look at it from a pro's point of view, because that is what you are planning for.

Interesting, 70-150 on a DX body, so 105-225 on FX. Longer shots that I had expected. But then I did not know the layout or where you would be positioned.
Are those all the students, or are there more seated on the floor in front of the stage?

Will you be shooting on the floor, or just from the bleachers?
If just from the bleachers, then the long lens will still be your primary lens. Then I would put the 70-300 on the FX D850. But test that lens/body combo to see how well that works.

When in the program did you switch to the 18-105, and for what? Presumably the wider shots.

If you do this professionally, you want to get floor and roaming access.

Yes, I did say that. But as this is practice, no-paying, hard to spend $$$. I really appreciate all the help and input.

That is all the kids in that class.

This time I will be trying to position my self better for things vs just staying stationary. I will have access to both the bleachers and floor, within reason.

At the session I have posted, I switched lenses for the line up coming in, and when the seniors came off stage to give roses to their parents.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back