Using Pano Head vs. Lightroom CC "Boundary Warp"

LDAvery

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For panos I'm using a Nikon D800, RRS Pano Head atop an Arca-Swiss ballhead, and Lightroom/Photoshop CC.

Recently Adobe Lightroom CC has added a feature called "boundary warp" that seems to work extremely well in merging stitched photos and correcting the pano border for out-of-level individual shots. Using my pano head and being careful in the setup the corrections necessary aren't too great but LR seems to take care of them seamlessly (pardon the pun).

Simple question: Given this recent software technology, are pano heads becoming obsolete at least for single row panos if the corrections can all be done in software?

I've spent a fair amount on this pano head and am wondering now if it is somewhat redundant.

Your comments and opinions would be welcome.

If you have invested in the pano head and nodal slide and have the info on your lenses to set everything up then best to keep using that and not just rely on the software. It is pretty amazing what I can get just handheld these days and letting the software do all the heavy work. However if your on the tripod then best to use the equipment you have invested in so you have the best images to work with in post.

NOTHING beats getting right in the camera...after all, we are PHOTOGRAPHERS not DIGITAL ARTISTS. Though, the line seems to be blurred these days.

I always do my best to get it right in the camera and not rely on Post-Processing. Nothing looks as good as an in-camera shot!

Thanks for your responses. They confirm what I pretty much expected; get the best possible result you can in-camera and rely on post processing as little as possible. Thanks for helping to confirm what I expected.

NOTHING beats getting right in the camera...after all, we are PHOTOGRAPHERS not DIGITAL ARTISTS. Though, the line seems to be blurred these days.

I always do my best to get it right in the camera and not rely on Post-Processing. Nothing looks as good as an in-camera shot!
Except a shot gotten as right in camera as possible and then properly post processed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back