Using past end-of-life film developer

Bernard Schulman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi, I recently found a box of ID11 which I had bought back in the early 80s. I'm planning to use it diluted at 1+1 to develop a few rolls of FP4 and HP5 films. Does anybody have experience using past EOL film developers? I'm hoping for adjusted developing times, to replace ILFORD's recommendations of 11 and 12 minutes for FP4 and HP5 respectively. Thanks.

I only use fresh developer so I have no idea what to tell you. I certainly would not use it on any important film but if your just screwing around I guess it would work.

I don't think the OP is wanting to use developers that are expired. I think the question is about how to develop expired film.

I don't think the OP is wanting to use developers that are expired. I think the question is about how to develop expired film.

Nah, read it again. The question is about a box of developer bought in the 80s.

I agree with @webestang64 - don't use it with anything you care about. I say go ahead and do it for the sake of scientific inquiry, though. Maybe shoot a couple of short rolls (if you roll your own - or get some cheap Lomo rolls if you don't roll your own so you don't waste your good film) and try the developer at recommended times, see how it comes out, and then slowly increase the times from there (25% more, 50% more...).

You could always take a film leader and drop it in there to see how long it takes to turn black. Personally, something that old and the style of developer it is, probably is not any good.

I agree with @webestang64 - don't use it with anything you care about. I say go ahead and do it for the sake of scientific inquiry, though. Maybe shoot a couple of short rolls (if you roll your own - or get some cheap Lomo rolls if you don't roll your own so you don't waste your good film) and try the developer at recommended times, see how it comes out, and then slowly increase the times from there (25% more, 50% more...).

I just read 'box' and equated that with a box of film.

Tsk tsk tsk ;)

Tsk tsk tsk ;)

That's what I get for never ever having used powder chemicals. Mine always came in bottles.

Old developer and old film, what to do?
Ilford FP-4 was introduced in 1968 and was replaced by FP-4+ in 1990 so it's probably more than 30 years out of date.
Ilford HP-5 was introduced in 1976 and replaced by HP-5+ in 1989 so again it's maybe 30 years out of date.
If the ID-11 developer is not brown, indicating oxidation has happened, it may be still good.
I reckon shoot these ancient films at half box speed and develop for the currently recommended times. There are no standard rules for such unlikely combinations of film and developer. Good luck.

I have found that fresh Kodak X-Tol at 1:1 helps reduce the base fog of old BW films.

The OP never said the film is expired. Just the developer.

The OP never said the film is expired. Just the developer.
The OP wrote that he has FP-4 film. This film hasn't been manufactured since 1990 so I just assumed it would be out of date.
Similarly the HP-5 film, not having been manufactured since 1989, is surely out of date too. But again just an assumption.

Thanks to the replyers so far. Some confusion regarding what's old and what isn't: the films are suffixed "PLUS", recently bought, current stock; only the developer is (very) old stock. In any case, I'll try and keep track on how it goes, and post here the outcomes. Thanks again.

I'm interested in knowing what your goal is.

Most reactions

Back