Using shutter prority

duehew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to get away from Auto setting and have been using Shutter priority. It seems the ones I take in Auto come out crisp and vivid while the ones in Shutter priority come out subdued. Is there another setting I should use?? Nikon D3200 W/55 mm lens. Very overcast day with white balance set for cloudy and hand held. Looking at nothing specific just roughly framing the shot and taking one in Auto and another in Shutter priority. Any advice helpful. Thanks.

Du

Explain how you are using shutter priority mode to take the shot - what settings are you using and can you show us the auto shot and the shutter priority shots side by side.

You might also benefit from the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson as it goes into more depth for the beginner eager to learn about exposure.

Explain how you are using shutter priority mode to take the shot - what settings are you using and can you show us the auto shot and the shutter priority shots side by side.

You might also benefit from the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson as it goes into more depth for the beginner eager to learn about exposure.[

I tried uploading 4 files through Photobucket but kept getting errors. Very frustrated.

I tried uploading 4 files through Photobucket but kept getting errors. Very frustrated.

Honestly. It's just easier posting directly off your phone or something right on to the site.

Since I'm a noob. I didn't even attempt to use auto anything. I flipped it to manual and just read on what each setting does. Auto will set your iso to 1600 plus ALL the time.

And plus it'll help you a lot in taking better pictures...way better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Auto settings don't just set shutter speed. It sets speed, f-stop and frequently adds some color or temperature settings as well as ISO. When you move from Auto to manual you have to set all of the available settings.
Just upload the file here. See where it says "Upload a File" beside Post Reply.

I will try uploading again -

1A

1B

2A

2B

Hopefully these came through this time. Photobucket did not have them in the order uploaded so I hope I have them right. The first should be in Auto mode and the second in Shutter Priority mode and both were hand held with a 18-55 mm lens. Thank you for your patience.

Du

Honestly. It's just easier posting directly off your phone or something right on to the site.

Since I'm a noob. I didn't even attempt to use auto anything. I flipped it to manual and just read on what each setting does. Auto will set your iso to 1600 plus ALL the time.

And plus it'll help you a lot in taking better pictures...way better

Thanks for your feedback.

You might also benefit from the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson as it goes into more depth for the beginner eager to learn about exposure.[
Thanks for the tips. I think my photos finally came through.

I'm confused as to why it auto changes the settings completely different in full auto to shutter auto. When the only thing logically that would be different is shutter speed. 1/125 seems excessive also for what you were shooting and at iso 400. Iso 100 and a slower shutter would give you better images.

Auto confuses me more than learning each setting haha. Again, I'm new at taking pictures. But those settings don't make sense to me. Or from what I would use

Auto settings don't just set shutter speed. It sets speed, f-stop and frequently adds some color or temperature settings as well as ISO. When you move from Auto to manual you have to set all of the available settings.
Just upload the file here. See where it says "Upload a File" beside Post Reply.
I tried uploading here but received a security error. I think the pics came through in my later post.

I'm confused as to why it auto changes the settings completely different in full auto to shutter auto.

I do not know either. The first pic was auto and all I did was change to the "S" setting with "2" and no other settings were touched. Does this mean my camera is not working properly??

I'm sure it is. The veterans here will prob give a great answer. But, this is one instance why I use full manual, YouTube is very helpful starting out

I'm confused as to why it auto changes the settings completely different in full auto to shutter auto. When the only thing logically that would be different is shutter speed. 1/125 seems excessive also for what you were shooting and at iso 400. Iso 100 and a slower shutter would give you better images.

Problem is....it's overcast...the ISO 100 value for 1/2 second at f/5.6 gave a nice degree of blur to the moving water, with no ISO gain needed. The first shot needed a Low ISO Gain value, to reach 400 ISO, but that pulled an exposure of f/5.6 at 1/125 second and a slightly under-exposed rendering--much,much,muuuuch safer for hand-held, automatic shooting.

In a matrix metering scenario, the Nikon's meter read the entire scene, computed the brightness range, the color values, and for the AUTO shot, delivered a good, solid, basic exposure of f/5.6 at 1/125 second at ISO 400...exactly the kind of compromise the Nikon engineers decided was about right, based on the 100,000+ actual scenes that are used to determine the Nikon matrix metering's exposure-making decisions.

When the photographer biases things to a very slow, non hand-holdable speed of 1/2 second in daylight, the camera's going to expose with that user-selected bias as a priority.

I'm sure it is. The veterans here will prob give a great answer. But, this is one instance why I use full manual, YouTube is very helpful starting out

Manual is what I am shooting for and wanting to learn what settings do what so I can take better photos. I have been downloading vids from you tube. Very confusing as some use total manual, some use Shutter and some suggest Aperature priority. What I am seeing with my experimenting is the Auto setting gives more vibrant colors than the other settings when I let the camera take over such as the Shutter priority I have been trying. Way more to learn.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back