Using speedlights instead of studio lights for the first time - Gear Advice Needed!

TheSharpshooter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone, so Photoschool is over meaning I don't have access to a studio anymore. I'm starting to invest in small, easy to carry (especially in the subway!) equipment for light but I am not very experienced in using speedlights so I am unsure of what exactly I need to make this work.

So far I bought a used Nikon SB-900 from a friend and ordered a 76cm Ezybox (A softbox for speedlights). But else do I need? I suppose I need a lightstand which can easily be transported when one doesn't own a car and can be set high enough for paramound light and is also sturdy enough not to be knocked over by wind when shooting outside? I'm also very confused about the best way to trigger my speedlights when using my Nikon D700. Go wireless? Cables? What do I need other than what I already have in order to make this work?

For any equipment suggestions please know that I live in Germany so no brands that are available only in the US.

Thank you all for your help! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I used 3 vivitar 285's on pocketwizard triggers before I got real strobes. They worked great
bigthumb.gif

What 2Wheel said! I use my speedlights and Ezybox (Gotta love Lastolite! :thumbup: ) far more than I do my actual monolights. Pocket Wizards (or the more economical, albeit slightly less reliable, Cactus Triggers) are THE only way to go for remote triggering

What exactly do I need to go wireless? Also any recommendations on lightstands? Sorry I'm kinda very new to off camera speedlights and even newer to wireless. My school was kinda old school we shot everything using Nikon FM2's.

There are a ton of cheap wireless triggers on eBay, but you get what you pay for... if you get 75% success with them, you'll be lucky. Cactus triggers are decent, consumer-grade, and Pocket Wizards are pro-level (and price). Get a good 12' stand. Cameron or Manfrotto air-cushioned are a good value for the money.

There are a ton of cheap wireless triggers on eBay, but you get what you pay for... if you get 75% success with them, you'll be lucky. Cactus triggers are decent, consumer-grade, and Pocket Wizards are pro-level (and price). Get a good 12' stand. Cameron or Manfrotto air-cushioned are a good value for the money.

Sorry, not much of a tech junkie, there are many pocket wizards, I'm a bit confused about what I need? Also which stands are for speedlights? Any particular models? Do I need a head of some sort?

Lots of info here. A light-stand is a light-stand is a light-stand. You will need a speedlight adapator (of which there are too many types to list). As far as the PWs go. I use the Plus II model, but the Plus III is on the street now with a greater range and more frequencies. I'd see what's available on your local Craig's List.

So what, I connect the Pocket Wizard Plus III to the Camera and what exactly do I connect to the Flash?

TheSharpshooter said:
So what, I connect the Pocket Wizard Plus III to the Camera and what exactly do I connect to the Flash?

You have transmitter on the horseshoe of the camera and the transceiver on the speedlite. Place them on the same channel on both devices test viola enjoy remote triggering. Note you have to be in manual mode to use your speedlite remotely.

Just think of it this way, a cell tower it sends signals(and receives) and you phone picks up the singal. Mental note when I said transceiver, they actually do both send/receive signals. I saved my pennies and bought 3 pocketwizard flex transceivers; best investment I made since I bought my d7k.

Last edited:
So I don't get it, are both parts that are needed included in this:

Pocket Wizard Plus III Transceiver: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Pocket Wizard Plus III pack?

How do I attach the received to the Speedlight and attach the speedlight to the lightstand at the same time?

Sorry I probably sound like a moron. We used to shoot with FM2s at school and then just scan film and retouch it in photoshop. Not used to digital technologies.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
TheSharpshooter said:
So I don't get it, are both parts that are needed included in this:

Pocket Wizard Plus III Transceiver: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Pocket Wizard Plus III pack?

How do I attach the received to the Speedlight and attach the speedlight to the lightstand at the same time?

Yes you need 2, and that one above you would place on your camera. The second one will go underneath your speed lite.

You might have to buy the pctw flex for flash. Underneath pctw flex has the unusual thread to place them on a light stand.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
TheSharpshooter said:
I'm very confused now

Seriously? Oo

1. You need 2 remote triggers. 1 is a transmitter, 1 is the receiver.

2. 1 goes on the camera.

3. 1 goes (pocketwizard flex) goes underneath the flash.

4. With the flash connected to the pocket wizard; connect them to the light stand.

5. Make sure batteries are in both devices

6. Make sure they're both on.

7. Make sure they are same channel. Example, if one device is set on channel A. Then make sure the other device is on channel A.

8. Make sure both wizards are blinking green

9. Test fire to make sure the flash is going off when you fully press down on the shutter button.

If you're still confused please consult the YouTubes and Googles to get visuals, good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks IByte. So Basically Pocket Wizard III goes on top of the Camera and Flex TT5 (Nikon) goes under my main flash, right? Or did I get this wrong? And I only need one because I can set my main flash to trigger the other flashes when it goes off like studio lights, right?

TheSharpshooter said:
Thanks IByte. So Basically Pocket Wizard III goes on top of the Camera and Flex TT5 (Nikon) goes under my main flash, right? Or did I get this wrong?

No you got it exactly

Most reactions

New Topics

Back