Using video on Nikon d5100

Goldcoin79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is the Nikon d5100 good for using video, I am planning on getting a d5100 and was thinking of selling my video camera to put the money towards it. I want to use the d5100 to do mainly photography but use it to do the occasional holiday video as well. I want to make sure that it is good enough at video though, what's you thoughts?

Your best bet is to go on youtube and check the videos done with the 5100. If that's the style and look you want, then go for it. I don't use the video function due to the fact it's autofocus is atrocious in video mode.

The d5100 video will surely be better than your video camera unless you have a $5000+ professional HD video camera.

Auto focus always sucks with video cameras, factoring that into your decision is like worrying about trunk space when choosing between a Ferrari and Lamborghini.

If your using auto focus when shooting video you're doing it wrong. ;)

for the price you can pickup a d5100 body only for its amazing for video. 1080p and 30fps. the flip out screen is nice for video too.

i just bought a d5100 as a camera primarly for video and a secondard body and for a camera that is nice to have just when i want to carry something smaller.

also thinking about a 18-70mm lens for it, as most of my other lenses are FX

Most reactions

Back