Using vintage films

The Last Spike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I found some very old 120 film rolls, five of them expired in the 60s and one in the 40s.
I understand it could be a complete failure, but I want to use them with my old Rolleicord and I have 2 questions.
1: should I overexpose or use some filter to have acceptable results?
2: can normal laboratories develop them?

These are the rolls:
pellicole.jpg

Thanks.
Giuseppe

I don’t think most labs would want to touch that stuff or would I, put those in you curio case with an old brownie box, if you what to use old style film get some Efke/Adox from Freestyle or jandcphoto.com in the US or http://fotoimpex.de/ in Europe

I agree with Jeff. Maybe someone else will weigh in here with suggested exposure times, but I would be just as happy having those fabulous old boxes to display with some of my vintage cams.

I once got a perfectly usable image from very outdated - by about 8 years - Polaroid film, that had been stored in a freezer. Beyond that, without knowing storage conditions, I would think there wasn't much speed left in your film.

Provided the film is usable, i.e. its packaging has not broken down to allow light leaks, you will most likely have to overcome some fogging. Without knowing your base+fog level you won't really know how much to compensate. Clip off some pieces and develop in your usual developer at different times and see what you get for fog levels. You could get really technical here, but unless you plan on using this film for a serious project I wouldn't worry about it and just try and get it close. If the film was orginally 100 speed go to 200, etc. and increase your development time by 20-30%, it's a start.
I have seen some websites who say they specialize in developing old film, there names escape me at the moment, do a web search. Also search for what developers were recommended by the manufactures for the film when it was made, most likely that was discontinued as well, but if you search hard enough you can find what replaced it.

Again, if you are just playing around with it, just use it and have some fun and learn something about film and development.

Thank you for you answers, they are the same I got from many other people and I'll keep the rolls just as curiosity.

mysteryscribe said:
please send me the empty boxes.

No way!!:D

The Last Spike said:
I'll keep the rolls just as curiosity.

Good idea. They are cooler as history than any results you'd get with them. Chances are the emulsion would slough off when you went to develop them anyway. Just run currently available films through your Rollicord.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back