uu

Excellent shots, Rotanimod, MatthewM, ADavis, Usayit, Mishele, and Jake! If this was my thread, they'd all get A's from me ;)

To be brutally honest about critiquing the critiques, you are taking a very limited, emotional approach to whether the shot says anything to you. "Professional" critiquing involves the technical side: You did not notice mention of over or under-exposure, camera angle, depth of field etc. and the one suggestion about wide angle would have flattened the shot in a negative way. Only one comment about editing and that was very vague. No suggestions about how to improve any of the images in post. A more thorough critique of the technical side is warranted on some shots.

Composition needs to be evaluated in a more specific way including the visual effect (positive or negative) of shape, colour, texture, lighting etc. or the position of the picture elements and whether a better placement was possible. You did not use the term: centre of interest, either, and the fact that at least one image did not have one and that the centre of interest must have some level of visual impact for the viewer. A clichee shot for example is often one with a boring centre of interest that requires a more original approach from the photographer.

These are just a very few pointers. There are many more.

You provided a few comments but definitely not a critique.

skieur
So are you able to provide said "professional critiques"?

Anyone can, with an understanding of the technical side and perhaps some reading up on composition if you do not have some art background. There are a variety of good articles and guidelines at Photography Composition Articles Library.

skieur

Excellent shots, Rotanimod, MatthewM, ADavis, Usayit, Mishele, and Jake! If this was my thread, they'd all get A's from me ;)
Ultimate thread jack? Also, is that your honest opinion about the shot?

Anyone can, with an understanding of the technical side and perhaps some reading up on composition if you do not have some art background. There are a variety of good articles and guidelines at Photography Composition Articles Library.

skieur
Makes perfect sense. I'm interested in reading some of that stuff, to better my technique. But until then, I'll continue to take advice and critique from anyone here who would offer such insight.

First of all, my name isn't Jack.

And yes, that's an honest assessment. I have my favorites, but those are all good photos! :thumbup:

First of all, my name isn't Jack.

And yes, that's an honest assessment. I have my favorites, but those are all good photos! :thumbup:
Ha, I didn't think your name was Jack...I suppose that should be hyphenated...

Either way, thanks for the compliment!

JMBriggs: to me it feels soft, and with the upper right all blown out as well.... just really doesnt do it for me compositonally. It feels like it might make an abstract but its not quite there either, sorry. The rim lighting around some of the leaves is quite nice though.

Ha, I didn't think your name was Jack...I suppose that should be hyphenated...

Airplane reference: "Surely you can't be serious!" "I am serious...and don't call me Shirley." :mrgreen:

Can you refrain from commenting on the photos in this thread please? If you don't feel my critiques suffice, feel free to PM the photographer, or start your own thread.

This is a great idea!!!

We can each create our OWN threads for people to post images in for critique!
Then if they want more than one opinion, they can post that same picture in the other 5-10 solo critique threads.
Geeesh, this forum was layed out all backwards.

tumblr_ls7n3sHBia1r25682o1_1280.jpg

make me cry... :D

OK, I'll be brave... I'm not brave enough to post portraits yet, though, because most of them are of my child.

Or.. not.... I keep getting some sort of error. :(

ETA: I think the images are too small to upload. Gah.

Last edited:
Yes please do this.

This is a great idea!!!

Then if they want more than one opinion, they can post that same picture in the other 5-10 solo critique threads.

Yes please do this.

This is a great idea!!!

Gods forbid that you lot start spamming helpful, informative and indepth critique threads all over the site! We'd have to contain the outbreak in some kind of critique vault subsection if it got serious!

What's going on here? I want to read more amazing C&C!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back