UV Filter

unless you need to use another type of filter then yes i would keep the uv filter on at all times.

at the end of the day, its a lot cheaper to replace a filter then a lens if something should happen

The 1A filter provides a slight warming of the image. Its original purpose was to correct color slides when the light on the subject came from a blue sky. The 1A is sometimes referred to as a 'skylight' filter.

It does just as good a job of protecting the lens, and has about as much effect on the image, as a 'UV' filter.

The 1A filter provides a slight warming of the image. Its original purpose was to correct color slides when the light on the subject came from a blue sky. The 1A is sometimes referred to as a 'skylight' filter.

It does just as good a job of protecting the lens, and has about as much effect on the image, as a 'UV' filter.

I might add that a UV, 1A or 1B do just about nothing, which means I agree about "as much effect, as a 'UV' filter." :mrgreen:

Some folks will tell you that you don't need a filter for protection. Don't listen to them. The first time you get some slop, dust, or avoid having something whack or scratch your front element, you'll be happy you invested in a filter that does almost nothing. You might even wipe off water with your shirt, because it's a $40 filter not a $400 lens?

I'm adding this because if you do a search for Skylight 1A filter you'll find a thread with a bunch of messages calling out "old timers" and people who wear beanies, as old Hippies, and claiming they don't need a filter, so we don't either.

Don't believe them! :lmao:

Cheap UV filters can cause problems if shooting into light sources. I take mine off when I absolutely have to but otherwise all my lenses have a UV filter at all times. Often when I switch to a polariser I just stack it on the UV and forget about shooting at 18mm because of vignetting.

Is it recommended to keep the UV filter on the lens at all times?
what is a 1a filter?

It is a matter of some controversy. I use UV filters for protection personally. I remove it for shooting into harsh direct light sources and whenever I use any other filter (very rare.) 1A is a skylight filter. The UV (0) filter is plain, clear optical glass. The 1A has a very slight pinkish, warmish tint. The concept is to use it during high noon and other cool light times of day. No need to have one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back