UV filters or not?

I used to think like that. Then one day the filter prevented me from NEEDING to buy a new lens, when the old one smacked full force against a cliff face. Threads bent, element shattered, no damage to lens. $50 well spent on a multicoated UV filter, Instead of $600 on a lens.

But what kind of lens can you get for $400 anyway?

LOL, well if I were repelling down cliff faces I would likely use one. I own many, but only use them when shooting outdoors in dusty environments like rodeo, motocross, etc. I have zero scratches on my lens elements or bodies.

And for $400, you can by crap lenses.

And for $400, you can by crap lenses.

*hugs his Sigma 70mm macro*
don't listen he knows not what he says - sure you don't have HSM focusing and your AF is noisy, but your a macro you don't need that fancy AF stuff!

As for filters here is my view on them:

1) if your going to use them pay the money and get a high quality filter (B&W, Hoya) and make sure your getting a highend filter from those ranges - that way your not going to degradate your overall image quality. If you plug for a $/£5 one then your going to get problems

2) if your shooting in an environment where dirt, mud, dust, sand, salt, cliffs, water are likley to be impacting your lens then you want your lenshood on! After that a filter is a good way to protect your front glass - also if your getting mud thrown at you by racing cars or salt spray from the sea you can wipe a filter clean in seconds and not have to worry about scratches on the glass - whilst with a lens you have to take time to clean it properly (and then you miss shots in the field).

I have known people to have threads and filters imapact things and for the fliter thread to get stuck in the lens thread from the impact. Also remember that if the filter smashes that can still cause damage in the form of scratches to your front element.

In the end taking good care of your kit is the first big step - then your lens hood - then you can consider filters for your situations. If your shooting studio work then filters probable are not needed - if your shooting on the highseas in a fishing boat then - well aside from bolting you camera to a tripod and a tripod to the boat - then a filter is a good line of protection.,

Also consider clear glass filters as opposed to UV - a bit cheaper and you don't need the UV effect since with digital cameras its already part of the construction.

To answer this question, other members may need to know what you currently have and your personal preference.

For someone has a $100 lens. It has no reason to buy a UV filter for the reason of lens protection. i.e. I do not think I will buy a UV filter for a EF 50mm f/1.8 mkii lens. The good UV filter may cost about same as the lens itself. A cheap UV filter may cause lens flare or other defects. And additional filter may cause vignetting with some lens hoods.

If you are planning to take photos in the environment that UV filter can make a different. Then you may need it. In most cases, you do not see much different at all with or without the UV filter.

Of course, if you like to get a UV filter to protect your expensive lens, I do not see why not as long as you are comfortable with it. It is really a personal choice. There is no right or wrong here.

but only use them when shooting outdoors in dusty environments like rodeo, motocross, etc

So you don't just use hoods... ;)

Use them, don't use them. From a physics standpoint they do nothing as far as IQ, providing you're using a HQ product free from defects. The influence on IQ is so slight from a UV or clear filter you can't detect it without scoping for it.

On the other hand I saw a brand new 70-200 2.8 today that had about 12 minor abrasions on the front element that never would have happened with a 'filter' in place.

I use them outside, not in the studio. Just my preference.

A hood won't protect your lens when a paintball comes ripping at it .... not at all. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back