UV Filters

DB83

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently read that UV filters can degrade image quality. Is this accurate?
If someone can explain the pros and cons of having UV filters, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd prefer to use them for protection purposes, but if it will degrade my pictures, I'd probably just avoid using them.

Practically anything you put in front of you lens will degrade your image quality to some degree. Adding a something like a UV filter can cause an increased chance of lens flare and can certainly affect the image quality. It all comes down to the quality of the filter you put in front of your lens.

Practically anything you put in front of you lens will degrade your image quality to some degree. Adding a something like a UV filter can cause an increased chance of lens flare and can certainly affect the image quality. It all comes down to the quality of the filter you put in front of your lens.

Also, a lens hood becomes even more important when a filter is used.

In a real world practice, I have been using B&W UV filters on my lenses, but if I was in a situation that it may affect the image quality, I take them off.
But I can't count the number of time the filter has taken a hit instead of the front element of my lens.

Hmm I gotta remember this. I've got a simple cheapo canon UV filter on my 50mm and I've noticed that I regularly have photos that are just not sharp enough. I'll have to look into a better filter or take it off as needed.

Definitely. I am the first to recommend a UV filter for protection, but there's no reason you need to suffer such a hit in quality. Hoya SHMC filters are available for pennies on ebay compared to any normal filter bought in a store. I suggest looking there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back