UV filters

fotomumma09

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Are the necessary? I have a Hoya for each of my lenses, but I can't tell the difference.

Why put an inexpensive piece of glass in front of your expensive piece of glass?
Only two more surfaces to add diffraction to lower contrast.
They might be seen as protection but, imo, better protection is a metal lens hood.

Not for digital, but if you want to shoot film, they are handy. The effects are most noticeable in hazy scenes, such as in the mountains.

Of course they're necessary. The stores have a 100% markup on UV filters. It is the big difference between staying in business and going bust.

Lens protection is way more about using good lens/camera handeling technique and the proper lens cleaning methods and tools.

Filters (clear or UV) used for 'protection' cause more problems than they solve. The filters increase the occurance of lens flare becuase of the additional air gap they add to the lens, and reduce image contrast to some extent.

A TPF member posted a thread a couple of months ago - She dropped her lens and the UV filter she had on it for 'protection' shattered. One of the sharp shards of thin, easily broken UV filter glass gouged the very lens it was supposed to 'protect'. Her story is far from unique and similar 1st person stories have been repeated on other forums from time to time. Sorry, I can't find the thread.
Often the issue is the inability to remove a shattered UV filter from the lens, because the filter body has bent and is jammed in the lens filter threads. - http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ens-pouring-rain-today-filter-stuck-lens.html

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ed-nikon-d700-camea-lens-saved-uv-filter.html

Check out this article from a lens rental business about scratched lenses - LensRentals.com - Front Element Scratches

and watch this video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies! That's one crazy YouTube video!

Why put an inexpensive piece of glass in front of your expensive piece of glass?
Only two more surfaces to add diffraction to lower contrast.
They might be seen as protection but, imo, better protection is a metal lens hood.

I fully agree, and like the OP, I usually used to pick a filter along with a new lens till a 35 starting giving horrible results due to reflection between surfaces in certain conditions ... now it is the lens hood only for protection unless I know there is serious dirt/dust coming up.

no need for uv filters for digital cameras.and for protection of th lens i never saw any use either.

Now I wish I could get my money back.

Now I wish I could get my money back.

Stick em in your bag... That random day that it's windy at the beach, or you wanna get close to a hot wok full of stirfry, you'll be glad you can stick something in front of your lens.

I used to shoot with UV filters because I always thought they were good for protection. After 2 years, I see that a UV filter was pointless for me because I always took good care of my lens. AND after I took the filter off and saw how much more contrast I got plus extra f stops and better flare control, I'm never putting a UV filter on my lens again.

So buying a UV filter of any short of manufacturer wouldn't be a great protection item for your expensive camera lens? I hear different reviews from people who take photographs saying buy one and some say don't waste your money just use your common sense and brain so you won't break the lens.

- Jamie

I shoot motorsports with my dslrs, so I like the extra protection from flying rubber and other debris. When i'm not shooting motorsports, I leave the filters at home.

Different people have different opinions. Take a look at the state of my filters and you'll see why I have them (and why I replace them every 2 years or so). If you're the type to coddle your camera as many are then there's no real point in having them. Take your camera home at night and polish the lens with your expensive lens cleaning fluid and microfibre cloth.

On the other hand if you're like me, and your camera takes a roll through a sandy beach, just grab your sandy tshirt and wipe the front of the filter clean. Camera gets acidic hydrocarbon on it like mine? Wipe the front of your filter with your dirty kevlar / nylon overalls. Animal licks the front of your lens? Wipe in whatever you have on.

Anyone who tells you in absolutes that something is not for protection is talking about themselves and not talking about what may suit you. I for one don't use lenscaps*, don't leave my camera in manual, and don't turn it off. I like the ability to grab and click quickly and get a shot that is quickly missed while others are often getting ready. It takes it's toll on the camera equipment but hey I have a UV filter which protects my lens. Sure I have a lenshood as well but on some lenses like my 10-20mm the lenshood offers as much protection as an overweight midget bouncer with bad asthma.

* I actually have 2 lenses now which don't have lenscaps. I got tired of replacing ones I lost while out shooting.

Most reactions

Back