What's new

Verticle Grips, worth the expense?

Trever1t

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
9,331
Reaction score
2,724
Location
San Jose, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I found a "nearly new" MB-D10 verticle grip locally for $180 with all OEM packaging. I've been spying these things since I bought my D300s but haven't talked to anyone who actually uses one.

What are your thoughts on it?
How does it work with also mounting an RC2 tripod plate?
 
Last edited:
Grips are great. They give you more area to grip the camera. They give you another shutter release button so you can hold the camera properly while shooting in portrait orientation. They give you more battery capacity and the ability to use AA batteries in a pinch. I'm not sure about that grip or your camera, but some Nikon combination will give you a faster shooting speed (frame rate). (I still don't quite understand why...maybe it's a throwback to film days when adding a power winder gave you the ability to shoot faster).

The downside is usually cost (and maybe space if you don't want to pack around a large camera body). $180 sounds pretty expensive for a grip. I didn't buy a grip for several years, until I finally saw a knock off brand had one for $100 or so...which was about half what the Canon grip cost.

The grip should have the same tripod socket on the bottom, and thus should attack to a tripod/plate the same as a camera without grip.
 
I have one that I can and do swap back and forth between the D300 & D700. It's a great addition. I stayed with using AA batteries rather than going the steps for the EN-EL3e or EN-EL4a batteries. Put on your camera and your nuts will enlarge. :)

EDIT:
As a bonus, you get 8fps on CH setting.
 
Last edited:
+1 to Mikes points - grips are fantastic things on cameras :)

Myself I don't have big hands, but even I found that without a grip my pinky finger would end up falling off the bottom of the camera (where it rubs and then gets irritating) A grip gives you a bit more room to grip the camera when holding it normally and that makes a lot of difference. Furthermore it lets you attach a regular wrist strap which I find a great thing for a bit of added holding support when walking around and shooting.

Flick to vertical shooting and the extra buttons make a big difference - vertical shutter makes it a lot more natural when holding the camera for a portrait aspect shot. This really comes into its own as it means you don't have to have an uncomfortably overhand hold on the camera body (a pain for any setup, but a real pain if you've got a heavier lens on the camera).

Overall I've a grip for both my 400D and 7D and I've never felt a need to remove them (actually if you over-tighten the locking screw they can get rather stuck onto the camera - I don't think my 400D one will come off ;) )
 
Absolutely worth it.

A vertical grip improves the camera/lens balance and that's one of the reasons the Pro level cameras have the grip built right in.

The improvement in the handeling in the horizontal orientation is in large part because the center-of-gravity gets lowered.
 
It totally worth it, i use mine all the time.
especially on a smaller body like the d7000, its alot more comfortable holding it on the landscape orientation.

The only time the grip came off from my d7000 is when i went to mexico I didnt want to bring too much gear and get to much attention so i left it at home. I burned the top of my hand from holding it portrait orientation hahaha, my skin is still peeling from the sunburn.
 
I'm going for it, thanks for the responses

$180 is a lot of cash but locally they sell at $299 and the lowest I've seen is $230 new with Amazon at closer to $245
The aftermarket grips are a lot cheaper but I like to keep everything oem ;)

Thanks again!
 
I have owned the D90 and D300s. I am currently shooting with the D300s and have had both of them gripped. The grips are awesome. Theyre super handy and I absolutely love them. It also gives quite a bit of extra camera to hold on to and balances out the oblong rectangle shape, both of which are features I love. Not to mention the 8FPS which I don't use much, but it's definately great to have!

About the price, don't hesitate to buy a reputible off-brand one. I had a Zeikos grip on my D90 and never, ever had any problems. I believe the one I have for my D300s is a Zeikos as well, but I'm not too sure. I don't have any problems ever with this one either. They come at half the price or less usually.

Mark
 
I shot two softball games last weekend.... 95% of it in portrait. A vert. grip is now high on my wish list.
 
I will warn you tho, once you get one you will never go back.
 
I will warn you tho, once you get one you will never go back.

Yeah, sometimes I pull mine for when i go places that don't "allow" DSLR's. My D90 feels like a toy without it.

If you plan on running any pro glass and/or a speedlight, you will need the grip for balance. The portrait shutter and controls are nice as well. I only run one battery in mine, I have never needed dual packs- and if I do, the AA carrier is always in my bag loaded up.




p!nK
 
Yeah that is one good tip - always make sure you've got one battery out and spare - even when using a battery grip. Nothing worse than having a battery suddenly die on you and not having a spare around - this is especially so with grips loaded up with 2 batteries because they last for ages so its really easy to forget to check and suddenly - bang - you've run out of charge with your only two batteries with nothing to change over to.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom