Very Strange Bugs

NateS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's a couple of very strange bugs...no clue what they are.

This first guy was SO hard to light. I'm not super happy with them but no matter what I did there was too many grooves for me to light him very well.
p774449847-4.jpg

p732275001-4.jpg

p552583052-4.jpg

This guy was less weird and more cool looking
p959179459-4.jpg

p603795073-4.jpg

and not weird or strange at all
p557319458-4.jpg

Wow ! ... It's look like monster from the movies.

Looks like thats the winner!

Nate, great shots as always. Can I ask how you use your flash when shooting Macro? I mean, settings-wise. I had my go at it today with very unpleasing results.

Mark

Looks like thats the winner!

Nate, great shots as always. Can I ask how you use your flash when shooting Macro? I mean, settings-wise. I had my go at it today with very unpleasing results.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Settings wise, I just have it at between 1/4 to 1/2 power depending on the subject. 1/4 + 0.3 is usually where I start and adjust for the subject from there....I need more power (obviously) if I am shooting farther back from my minimum focus distance.

Oh, and thanks for the ID Dao....saved me a lot of searching.

Last edited:
Thanks! What about zoom distance? 85mm?

Mark

I've tested it all the way from widest to fartherst and get no difference. I think this has to do with the mini-softbox grabbing the light and spreading it. I usually leave it on the widest setting though because I figure if it does make any difference, I want the widest scatter of light as possible to give me the softest light possible.

Oh, and I used to shoot TTL and still do sometimes. When I'm up close, I shoot manual with the settings I told you, but if I have to back off, that's nowhere near enough power to light something from a distance, so I just quickly tap it into ttl or ttl-bl mode for those occassions...much easier and quicker. Up close though, I get too much inconsistency with TTL and find manual to be much better.

Man that first one is bizzare looking! Very cool.

That is a tough one to light with one source too. Looks like its time to break down and buy the R1 kit! :D

Thanks alot for that explination. Ill have to give it another go if it ever stops raining here! :grumpy:
I spent almost a half hour trying to light a raindrop-filled tomato yesterday, and it was a miserable time. If youre shooting at 1/4-1/2 at 180mm, Ill probably have to shoot 1/4-1/16 shooting at 105mm. That being said, Im shooting through a LQ107 softbox, so I suppose the 1.25 stop loss should make a difference. Ill try to figure it out.

Thanks alot again!
Mark

Most reactions

Back