View from a plane

Reed029

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these from my seat on a commercial plane. I think we were somewhere over Pennsylvania.

Let me know what you think. I'm mostly just curious if you find them interesting at all.

holiday2007092.jpg

holiday2007082.jpg

The short answer is no.

Sorry but everyone who has ever been on a plane has one of these images in the collection of holiday snaps.

http://images.google.com/images?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=plane+window&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Decent exposures, but far from original on any level!

One of the things that bothers me about this website is people that make rude and insensitve comments like this. Comments like this are way to common on this website for my liking. It's my opinion that if you don't like a picture and can't make a constructive comment, you should make no comment at all.

wrong, then people will continue to think their pictures aren't crappy when they actually are...

its called constructive criticism

they are not interesting, they are grainy, and there is junk on the lens

One of the things that bothers me about this website is people that make rude and insensitve comments like this. Comments like this are way to common on this website for my liking. It's my opinion that if you don't like a picture and can't make a constructive comment, you should make no comment at all.

i like the subtlety of the colors in the first and the fact that you can see the reflection of the clouds on the wing of the plane.

who cares that this is a common shot? its common because its interesting :roll: keep shooting!

He asked for our opinions and if anyone found them of interest. I offered mine.

I always offer constructive crit on any images I talk about, but the simple fact of the matter is that there is nothing constructive to say.. Composition?? There is only have one viewpoint. The image is what it is!

The problem with this images is it's all too common... I felt the fact that I offered a link with over 700,000 images of basically the same thing, was more than enough "constructive criticisms"

P.S If you think my comment is critical... You should experience an image critical analysis seminar. These people pull no punches!!!

who cares that this is a common shot? its common because its interesting :roll: keep shooting!

Surely this is paradoxical?

Things that hold interest do so by there uniqueness. Once something becomes familiar does the interest not turn banal?

maybe for him this was unique? perhaps it was his first flight? this view would be very unique for someone who doesnt travel by air. the mere fact that (s)he posted it means that they find it interesting. so perhaps to you its mundane, but that doesnt mean that everyone else has the same view on it.
but thats not to say that it isnt a common shot.

people dont stop taking pictures of the eiffel tower simple because so many others have done so in the past. what makes this shot any different? i could also link you to the countless thousands of images of it.

maybe for him this was unique? perhaps it was his first flight? this view would be very unique for someone who doesnt travel by air.

How unique this sight is to the photographer is irrelevant in relation to it's photographic merit. It is how it is perceived.

the mere fact that (s)he posted it means that they find it interesting. so perhaps to you its mundane, but that doesnt mean that everyone else has the same view on it.
but thats not to say that it isnt a common shot.

Again, the fact that is is on public display means that my (and others) opinion on the image supersedes the opinion of the photographer. If it was merely and image for the photographer, then why post it on a forum.

people dont stop taking pictures of the eiffel tower simple because so many others have done so in the past. what makes this shot any different? i could also link you to the countless thousands of images of it.

The challenge of a mimetic photographer is simple, make the familiar unfamiliar. There is a difference between shooting the Eiffel tower creatively (or technically) and pointing your camera at it and clicking.

The problem with this image is that no uniqueness or creativity has been applied, a simple case of point and shoot. This is what makes the image "common" not the subject itself. (I appreciate that it is not the easiest place in the world to attempt something original.. chances are you'd get arrested, but that really compels my reasons to not take this picture)

P.S I am not being critical for the sake of it or " to make my self feel good" I just wanted to explain that the image holds little or no interest, in photographic terms. I have shot an almost identical image myself. It is intriguing to fly, and we like to be reminded of this... but not an image to win any prizes, more to remind us of a good time.

I love the clouds in the second photo. I have never been on a plane, and know I'm going to be scared when I do. So scared of heights.

:)

Great photos.

Once something becomes familiar does the interest not turn banal?

Maybe that's true for you, but not necessarily for everyone else.

Again, the fact that is is on public display means that my (and others) opinion on the image supersedes the opinion of the photographer.

That's one of the most arrogant statements I've read in a long time.

How unique this sight is to the photographer is irrelevant in relation to it's photographic merit. It is how it is perceived.
i think this is where you and i are making a big distinction. to the photographer, it has merit, but to you it doesnt and thats ok, too.

Again, the fact that is is on public display means that my (and others) opinion on the image supersedes the opinion of the photographer. If it was merely and image for the photographer, then why post it on a forum.
there are many times when ive posted pictures just to find out what others thought even though their opinions didnt actually matter. its a basis for learning what im doing wrong and how i can improve.

The challenge of a mimetic photographer is simple, make the familiar unfamiliar. There is a difference between shooting the Eiffel tower creatively (or technically) and pointing your camera at it and clicking.

The problem with this image is that no uniqueness or creativity has been applied, a simple case of point and shoot. This is what makes the image "common" not the subject itself. (I appreciate that it is not the easiest place in the world to attempt something original.. chances are you'd get arrested, but that really compels my reasons to not take this picture)
i agree.... except that i find the sky and cloud formations to be unique. i guess my head is in the clouds :roll:

P.S I am not being critical for the sake of it or " to make my self feel good" I just wanted to explain that the image holds little or no interest, in photographic terms. I have shot an almost identical image myself. It is intriguing to fly, and we like to be reminded of this... but not an image to win any prizes, more to remind us of a good time.
im giving the opposing side just for the sake of doing so.

Your pics could be improved by the adjustments of levels and contrast. I used Photoshop Elements to bring out the color in the first shot. Maybe you'll find this a little better.
Keep shooting, what you like is what's most important.

holiday.jpg

The question was, if this images was interesting. This means the OP asks for a personal opinion. And that was given, and it was even explained why it was thought uninteresting: lack of originality.

and positive aspects were pointed out as well.

What else would you want? I cannot see any rudeness here.

yes, but the Eiffel tower gives you much more creative freedom, as in the perspective you chose, how you include fore and background and all. I agree there are not many good images of the Eiffel Tower, but there are some at least.

Whereas an airplane wing is just in the way when you take the picture, you cannot do much about it.

Again, the OP asked for personal opinions (do you think it is interesting?) ... and that is what he gets!

Most reactions

Back