View from a plane

I find the first image more interesting (and well-composed, even if you didn't have another option) than the vast majority of "wing pictures" that I've ever seen. I also find the original version more attractive than the edit provided here by a fellow poster.

I agree, the edit lacks the natural softness of the original. it looks rather too intense. maybe something in between would look nicer.

One of the things that bothers me about this website is people that make rude and insensitve comments like this. Comments like this are way to common on this website for my liking. It's my opinion that if you don't like a picture and can't make a constructive comment, you should make no comment at all.

WHAAAAA WHAAAA... THE OP did not ask if they looked fat in a dress... they went on to a photography site and asked for a constructive criticism... Not every photo is good...

He asked for our opinions and if anyone found them of interest. I offered mine.

I always offer constructive crit on any images I talk about, but the simple fact of the matter is that there is nothing constructive to say.. Composition?? There is only have one viewpoint. The image is what it is!

The problem with this images is it's all too common... I felt the fact that I offered a link with over 700,000 images of basically the same thing, was more than enough "constructive criticisms"

P.S If you think my comment is critical... You should experience an image critical analysis seminar. These people pull no punches!!!

there is always something constructive to say. spiffybeth mentioned the reflection on the wing. that is interesting, especially since most are painted dull white. while that in and of itself may not make this particular shot an award winner, it is a start. some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism would be to say; "hey that's kind of cool, why don't you develope that part of the image a bit more? see what you can do to crop it, enhance it so it stands out" as photographers we look to find interest in the everyday, use a bit of imagination when viewing other peoples pics as well. seeing as there are about 700 000 other pictures like this it's obviously a subject of great interest to a large section of human society. since that is the case one cannot be faulted for taking a picture of a subject that appeals to so many. have you ever taken a picture of a face? they're all generally the same, but we still take them and we find a point of interest in each one.

That's one of the most arrogant statements I've read in a long time.

Arrogance holds no value as a viewer, the fact remains if it quacks like a duck, looks like a duck then it's a duck. No matter what the creator might tell us.

If you read the post correctly I am not referring to myself as an individual but as a collective audience.

WHAAAAA WHAAAA... THE OP did not ask if they looked fat in a dress... they went on to a photography site and asked for a constructive criticism... Not every photo is good...

:lol:

Wow, I did not expect this to turn into such a debate! I'm glad though; you all have some good points.

To be perfectly honest, I'm so very new to photography and I have never seen a photo like this before. I do appreciate EVERYTHING you have to say because I'm learning something, even if it's learning that some people can be assholes. :)

Wow, I did not expect this to turn into such a debate! I'm glad though; you all have some good points.

To be perfectly honest, I'm so very new to photography and I have never seen a photo like this before. I do appreciate EVERYTHING you have to say because I'm learning something, even if it's learning that some people can be assholes. :)

I'll admit there are a fair share of rude things said on the board (as in most other places of discussion), but there wasn't a trace of rudeness in Bapp's post. You asked if it was interesting and he gave his honest answer and supported his opinion. I agree, the shot is not original, but you've got good composition and exposure. Just keep shooting.

Hearing constructive criticism is the best way to get better. I don't post most of my stuff because people rarely actually "critique" posts.

I'm not about to enter into this philosophical conversation between higher beings, but I like the clouds. Keep shooting.

My opinion about this thread - from a moderator's point of view - is that there is nothing here that needs any moderation.
The audience was asked if they thought the photos on display are "interesting at all" (the OP was "mostly just curious" about that), and while they are nice, indeed, the adjective that has been asked for does not apply. Nothing more has been said, and it was spoken in very normal words.

On the photos themselves:

I tend to agree with the admittedly somewhat brusque original review: they need some help in composition and processing and aren't terribly interesting... however, I admit every time I look out a plane window I'm rather stunned by the view, so I always wish I could capture that impact... I certainly understand the attempt.

On the matter of "rudeness":

While I think the commentor could have phrased his statements a bit more delicately, I honestly wish people would be WAY more upfront about how they feel.

It's always great to get people saying "wow, love that...", but in truth, I'd almost rather have people tear every image apart (with as many specifics as possible) because that's how I learn. I would also be willing to accept a bit of brusqueness to get this as it is well worth it to get the candor.

I think people should make a point to be constructive, and certainly make an effort not to hurt folks' feelings, but at the end of the day if something needs to be said to help a photog become better, and there really isn't any way to candy coat it, then I think it should be delivered sans-sugar and people should do their best not to wig out about that.

My $.02. YMMV. Offer not valid in Alaska.

I wasn't implying that someone was being rude to me. I absolutely agree that I posted pictures and should take whatever someone's opinion is of them. I accept that. I do, however, think that some people were rude to others in their responses to this debate. That's all.

I welcome any and every opinion put out there because I learned something from each one - positive or negative. So thank you all for your candor.

Look, we have all made photographs that some like and others don't. I tend to look at the context of the picture. True, this has been done many times, but so have landscapes, picture of people, most weddings. As a stand alone picture, in a few years, Reed029 might not remember why he took it. But placed at the first of a series about the trip he took, it is a great opener. Some pictures lend them selves to a story, with a beginning, a middle, a climax and an ending. Sometimes an epilogue. I think Reed029 might have ask for what he wanted in a more concise way. He was, I think, trying to be humble as he is a new photographer, When what he wanted to say is Here are some pictures I took, I'm new at this, How do I make them better. Remember the first time you preformed in public, you hoped that you would interest someone but you were scared to really go all out? That no one would look? Its one thing to give a one word answer to one of the semi-pros we have on here, its another to do it to a noob.
Bill

Most reactions

Back