vignette

Hiseyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

Via Gimp, I've attempted adding the vignette to photos with no success, though I came close once. So far the final result has not been to my satisfaction. I've not purchased anything from photoshop, but I'm wondering if I need to make the plung and get either lightroom or elements. Is there a free program that is somewhat user friendly and effective?

Thanks so much. So far, it isn't working. :(

Dude, vignette is easy to do.

Create new layer, get a brush that is soft (0% hardness)
and paint around the edges
lower opacity as you need

My way in Gimp:

Create a new layer if you so choose...

Use elipse select...

Make an elipse within the image, the circle is the guideline for where the darker edges of the vignette will be.

Click Select>Invert
then
Select>Feather ( input a logical amount of pixels in comparisson to the image size )

Select Paintbrush Tool ( Adjust opacity as desired )

Paint in the corners of the image...

Play around with that if you can follow it, and you should be able to achieve the effect youre looking for.

Thanks so much for this advice. I think I need Gimp for Dummies... :( But I'll keep trying.

You try my method? Ill be online for awhile if you need help, I could help you walk through it.

j-digg, yes I tried your method. Thanks so much for checking in. I might be able to give it another try later today.

Isn't it kinda hard to get it nice and even that way though?

Getting it even is one of things that I have a hard time with.

Hello,

Via Gimp, I've attempted adding the vignette to photos with no success, though I came close once. So far the final result has not been to my satisfaction. I've not purchased anything from photoshop, but I'm wondering if I need to make the plung and get either lightroom or elements. Is there a free program that is somewhat user friendly and effective?

Just FYI lightroom isn't really designed as an editing program in lieu of photoshop, it is a cataloging/organizing program with some basic editing ability built in.

Fokker, thanks, I haven't taken much time to research that program.

Isn't it kinda hard to get it nice and even that way though?
Depends on your hand I suppose, I prefer to do it this way as I can be more precise than using elipse tool
I usually just brush on the corners then click at top/bottom of a side and hold shift and drag my brush to the opposite side then repeat for each side, that way i get a straight line down the sides

UUilliam, I'll try that too. Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back