Vignetting

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How can we get the vignetting effect intentionally without the assistance of PS?

Example 1

Example 2
I'm not if he used PS for the effects in Example 2

Put on a filter, step-down ring or lens hood that is the wrong size.

Big Mike said:
Put on a filter, step-down ring or lens hood that is the wrong size.

you sure? :)

danalec -

if you have any circular rubber lens hoods - try one with a wide angle lens - or a zoom set to its widest angle. If the hood is the incorrect size, you should get vignetting in the finished product.

It's a fun effect to play with..

Thanks everyone! :)

I have actually used black construction paper from an office supply store taped onto my existing hood for a makeshift sorta "vignette enhancer" in the past. The nice thing about that is you can vary the length and effect of it for almost free. You may need more than one piece though to make sure light isn't entering through the paper or you'll get wierd color casting (unless shooting BW which was when I did it about 14-15 years ago in High School photo 101)

Otherwise I'd say PS it. Thats pretty much how I do all of mine now. Much more control albeit "unpure".

Wondering if someone could offer a tutorial on Vignetting in PS!?

Make a new layer, ctrl-A (select all), select/modify/border, depends on your image size, for an 800x600 image I'd say around 50 pixels. Then feather the selection (ctrl+alt+d) by half the amount of your border and then fill it with black (alt+backspace). Voila. Adjust opacity as desired. Try changing the blending mode as well.

Thanks Matt, I'm sure its tougher than it sounds like :); will get back to you if I need further assistance!

Real vignettes look much better IMHO. The PS vignette is on par with the PS lens flare.

voodoocat said:
Real vignettes look much better IMHO. The PS vignette is on par with the PS lens flare.

PS Vignette is nowhere near as bad a PS lens flare. I've used PS vignette's on a few of my images, and you liked em! :p

Its surprising to know that real vignetting is achieved with the a wrong sized hood! :p

Digital Matt said:
voodoocat said:

PS Vignette is nowhere near as bad a PS lens flare. I've used PS vignette's on a few of my images, and you liked em! :p
No you're right... not as bad :p. But it's still too perfect for me. The only vignettes I like are the ones you get naturally... lenses that are soft on the edges when wide open.

Most reactions

Back