Vignetting

Thanks Matt for the wonderful instructions! :D

Here is my first test:
fire1test1-vi.jpg

I have one question though... how can I selectively increase or decrease the 'burn' effect? I mean not for the whole 'border', but selective areas where I want to have more/less burnt look. Is there a way in PS to do that?

Thanks in advance!

I've been having an insane amount of fun burning and dodging my photos.

Dodge the highlights...
Burn the shadows...

Repeat as desired :)

It basically pushes the midtones back and forth until all are either highlights or shadows. It makes adding contrast fun and beautiful.

I prefer to use curves adjustment layers rather than burning, and just mask off certain sections. If you do it that way, you can always go back and edit the burn, or dodge.

It's a bit trickier, because when you first make the curves layer, it affects the entire image. You have to just focus your eye on the part you want to change, and adjust the curve to where you want it, then mask out everything else.

Vignetting can be done beautifully in PS-CS while processing RAW! The way I wanted it! :). Will post a sample later on.

Just found out the other day!

You can also simply select a region (be it square, round, oval, whatever) then invert the selection and feather it then use your choice of darkening method. Not very conventional but quick, easy, and doesn't give the exact same "perfect" results everytime.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back