Villa

elsaspet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.visionsinwhite.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is the first time I have posted in this area. (A little scared :shock: )
I feel like I've been learning so much from all of you, and thought I might learn faster by posting in this area.
I'm a little embarrassed about it because I know my photos aren't all that, but I felt like posting in here might give me more insight to what I am doing wrong, and hopefully right.
Thanks for your time, and all opinions and critiques greatly appreciated.
villapw.jpg

It looks good!
all that I see is up in the upper left corner it looks a bit "cool" compared to the rest of the pictures.
You are definately improving! good job! :D

I'm not sure what "cool" means. Does it mean too black? Thank you for the compliment and suggestions. I shoot in film only so I'm gonna have to make these shots count. (The film developement is scary! :cry: ) I'm really trying to learn.
Side note-I have my very first photo class tomorrow and although I am looking really forward to it I feel like I have gotten much more out of this forum than any class could ever teach me. :D

Elsa, we're in the same boat in many ways:
a) the PhotoForum has also been teaching me lots in the past year (minus three weeks) that I've been here,
b) also I still think my photos are at the most only "so-so",
c) also I still use film.
Fortunately, though, in my country film development and print making have become extremely cheap (it can't become any cheaper, I would say) with a film processed at €2,98 and each print done for just €0,01. So I can be a bit more lavish with my film.

LittleMan speaks of colour temperature here, I would think (I NEVER went to ANY photography class in my life, mind...), and some colours are "warmer" than others. Orange, for example, is very warm. Light blue is cold. You see?

All in all, I like your photo very much, you keep the lines straight (a thing that even after 25 years of taking photos - I'm not saying "photography" here - still gets wrong in many a picture I take!), you have chosen an interesting detail of the house, and the lighting is good. (Well, I THINK the line of the corner is straight... is something wrong with my eyes?)

I REALLY like the details on the wall of this...house is it? The lighting and colors are good, maybe could have been better later in the evening. What time was this picture shot?

There are only two things that bother me:

1) The upper right corner doesn't fit in the picture. Maybe tilting the camera a little right to give some angle and cut that corner and use the brick lining to frame the picture. Not sure...

2) Going off of what LaFoto mentioned about keeping the lines straight, it looks like there is a slight tilt to the left.

Overall, I think this is a great shot.

I didn't know you used film, LaFoto! I love your pictures. (I loved the Christmas ball reflection. You look like you have fun.)
I wish that photography development was cheap around here, but it's roughly $10 a roll for 24 color. I paid 19.00 today for a roll of 36 Black and White (but got some great family photos so it's worth it.) I'm just going to have to take more time with my shots to make sure I get it right.
(And no, the lines aren't really straight. I found that out when I tried to crop it. Having the window a little further towards the center made it look straighter, but it's as crooked as a thief.)
themonko, thank you also. Actually this shot was taken of a "fake" villa inside a hotel. That's why I took such a close shot. Any further back and you would have seen that it was right beside the Grand Canyon, a half mile long toy train set, and the Alamo! LOL. I only had available lighting but tried to fix it in photoshop, which I am learning at a patheticly low rate.
Anyhoo, I think I've learned some things from this and I thank you all for your comments and suggestions. :D

I also would have moved the whole shot slightly to the right to catch the door - probably using a point just before the brick quoining (on the corner) to frame the shot. I think that would have captured the doorway.

Otherwise - damn fine shot mate.

Most reactions

Back