Vintage photographic equipment (advice needed)

BikeEurope

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We are raising money for a sponsored cycle event (see sig). We have been given a large amount of photgraphic equipment to sell including several cameras and developing equipment, mostly around 20 years old (but some much older).
We are looking for ways to find good homes for this equipment fairly quickly and preferably at a decent price (it is for charitable causes after all...). Do you have any advice on how we could achieve this (ebay perhaps?)?
Also, while we're here, is there any chance of getting quick, rough valuations on specific items just so we know what to expect?

Thanks in advance
Bike Europe

Best bet is to look on ebay to see what the items have gone for - you need to have an account and be logged in, choose advanced search and look at completed listings - you get a better price generally if you ship worldwide, but don;t forget ebay and paypal take a cut as well - it averages out at around 10% of total sale price.

Hello and welcome to TPF!

Checking ended Ebay listings is good advice. Do check several though as obviously some items will have gone for less than their 'true' value and others for more. If you have queries about the details or potential value of specific items don't be afraid to ask here, many folks here are collectors and some have an insane level of knowledge of old camera gear. In particular do ask if you're having trouble identifying an item as you don't want to end up listing a collector's piece as an unknown camera and selling it well below value.

There are a few websites dealing with camera values, one in particular being in Europe. However, the best bet would be, obviously not Ebay due to the fluctuations in prices, but a book on cameras, such as McKeown's Price Guide to Cameras. They're expensive but worth every penny if you're a collector.

If you throw some camera names at me I might be able to price them fairly for you. They would be more expensive in Europe than the US.

There are a few websites dealing with camera values, one in particular being in Europe. However, the best bet would be, obviously not Ebay due to the fluctuations in prices, but a book on cameras, such as McKeown's Price Guide to Cameras. They're expensive but worth every penny if you're a collector.

If you throw some camera names at me I might be able to price them fairly for you. They would be more expensive in Europe than the US.
Sounds pretty good, thanks. I've already been looking at ebay, but like you said, some things sell for loads while some seem to go unnoticed...
We really have got HEAPS of stuff though! I'll try and get some photos and descriptions up asap, especially of the larger items.
What would be the best sub-forum on here to post this stuff, because none of them really jump out?

Thanks for all answers so far and for all the warm welcomes. Don't forget to check out our website,
Bike Europe

Sounds pretty good, thanks. I've already been looking at ebay, but like you said, some things sell for loads while some seem to go unnoticed...
We really have got HEAPS of stuff though! I'll try and get some photos and descriptions up asap, especially of the larger items.
What would be the best sub-forum on here to post this stuff, because none of them really jump out?

Thanks for all answers so far and for all the warm welcomes. Don't forget to check out our website,
Bike Europe

Best bet would be the two forums:

Equipment_&_Services and/or Collectors_Corner

You can always PM me, either for quotes or to alert me when you post your inquiry.

If you have a Canon AE-1 in good condition with a lens I would be interested. And my interest in cycling I would love to help you out. Please either PM me on here or email me at [email protected]

Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back