What's new

Violent Implication

Joined
Apr 20, 2013
Messages
265
Reaction score
80
Location
Philly
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know if any of you saw my other thread about my suicide attempt, but I decided to go much simpler (and more family friendly). What do you think?

$Glasses.webp
 
The image just doesn't do anything for me, nor would I want it to. I've been thinking about that other thread (s) and I hear you asking for help. I hope whatever caused you to do what you did has resolved and you are getting the help and guidance you deserve. I've lost a family member to suicide and at least one close friend...
 
The image just doesn't do anything for me, nor would I want it to. I've been thinking about that other thread (s) and I hear you asking for help. I hope whatever caused you to do what you did has resolved and you are getting the help and guidance you deserve. I've lost a family member to suicide and at least one close friend...

I understand that there's not much to the photo and it's not something that would do anything for anyone who hasn't dealt with depression and/or a suicide attempt, but I'm not trying to sell the photograph so I really don't care about that. It means a lot to me. And no the issue that caused this hasn't resolved. And yes I'm getting help.
 
I think it's a powerful image. I would separate the shell from the glasses, where it overlaps visually on the left side. Might consider a spent casing rather than a loaded shell, too.

Good luck, man. Take your meds, eh? Seriously.
 
The image just doesn't do anything for me, nor would I want it to. I've been thinking about that other thread (s) and I hear you asking for help. I hope whatever caused you to do what you did has resolved and you are getting the help and guidance you deserve. I've lost a family member to suicide and at least one close friend...

I understand that there's not much to the photo and it's not something that would do anything for anyone who hasn't dealt with depression and/or a suicide attempt, but I'm not trying to sell the photograph so I really don't care about that. It means a lot to me. And no the issue that caused this hasn't resolved. And yes I'm getting help.


Why make it more 'family friendly' then? what sort of feedback are you after?
 
I think it's a powerful image. I would separate the shell from the glasses, where it overlaps visually on the left side. Might consider a spent casing rather than a loaded shell, too.

Good luck, man. Take your meds, eh? Seriously.

Yeah, I've been looking for a spent casing but since I can't (and don't really want to) go shooting right now, I don't have access to a 9mm casing. I appreciate the input!

And yes, I will most definitely be taking my meds. And staying away from alcohol. Those two things helped me ruin the past 2 months of my life and made me lose my girlfriend who I was deeply in love with. I won't make that mistake again.

The image just doesn't do anything for me, nor would I want it to. I've been thinking about that other thread (s) and I hear you asking for help. I hope whatever caused you to do what you did has resolved and you are getting the help and guidance you deserve. I've lost a family member to suicide and at least one close friend...

I understand that there's not much to the photo and it's not something that would do anything for anyone who hasn't dealt with depression and/or a suicide attempt, but I'm not trying to sell the photograph so I really don't care about that. It means a lot to me. And no the issue that caused this hasn't resolved. And yes I'm getting help.


Why make it more 'family friendly' then? what sort of feedback are you after?

Because the mods deleted the threads. There were blood-stained articles of clothing and they thought it wasn't appropriate for the forum.

I'm just looking for opinions of exposure, composition, etc. I'm still very new to photography so I'm looking for all the help I can get, be it basic or advanced.
 
I'm just looking for opinions of exposure, composition, etc. I'm still very new to photography so I'm looking for all the help I can get, be it basic or advanced.

I'd suggest exploring different subjects, so far it seems you've been primarily focusing on still life compositions that reflect your tragic story. Get out with your camera and explore.
 
I'm just looking for opinions of exposure, composition, etc. I'm still very new to photography so I'm looking for all the help I can get, be it basic or advanced.

I'd suggest exploring different subjects, so far you've been focusing on still life compositions that reflect your tragic story. Get out with your camera and explore.

I've gone to Philly, the country, and the beach all within the past week and a half and taken pictures. I've posted many of them here too. That's not the only thing I'm taking pictures of.
 
I quite like it. The idea I had for something like this would be, glasses on the floor with one lens cracked, with the spent casing smoking on the floor.

But that's the cool thing. That's how I would have done it, which is similar but not quite the same as yours. This is the second photo you've posted that made me want to try a similar shot (the guitar shot was the other one).

Good job I say!
 
I quite like it. The idea I had for something like this would be, glasses on the floor with one lens cracked, with the spent casing smoking on the floor.

But that's the cool thing. That's how I would have done it, which is similar but not quite the same as yours. This is the second photo you've posted that made me want to try a similar shot (the guitar shot was the other one).

Good job I say!

Thank you very much!
 
Not trying to be a dick, but why not get out, shoot some positive things, things that don't revolve around darkness and remind you about your attempted suicide. . . it seems like maybe you are just ripping the scab off when it needs time to heal. I could be way off base. . . maybe embracing your life choice, and shooting "dark" subject matter could be therapeutic, I dunno, I know all our brains work differently.

As for the shot posted here, while conceptually it does little for me, at least things are in focus. The shadows I think work, gives more depth to what could just be a very flat picture.

Good luck with your journey towards recovery. I know that it's a difficult process and time may not always heal things, but it helps things.


Edit: I see now where subject matter was kind of hit on, not trying to beat a dead horse...
 
I don't get the posts about his subject? Our experiences make us who we are. There's no reason to totally block off our emotions bc they may be a little dark.
 
I'm just looking for opinions of exposure, composition, etc. I'm still very new to photography so I'm looking for all the help I can get, be it basic or advanced.

I'd suggest exploring different subjects, so far it seems you've been primarily focusing on still life compositions that reflect your tragic story. Get out with your camera and explore.

No offense man, but **** that. You're seriously telling him to stop taking 'serious' photos and just dumb it all down to birds or something?

I'm not saying to 'only' take these kinds of pictures, but it's obviously powerful. Isn't that the point (or at least one of them), to move people? The dude has a story to tell - let him tell it. It may even be part of his 'healing process', and could possibly deter other people from the same actions.
 
I don't get the posts about his subject? Our experiences make us who we are. There's no reason to totally block off our emotions bc they make be a little dark.


That's why I was sure to add a caveat, in some ways, it is all part of the recovery process. No one is saying to disconnect from emotions. I have a very close friend, like a brother to mee, attempted suicide, spent the next year dwelling on things and always looking at the darker/negative side of life, that is NOT helpful when you are trying to get in a better place.
 
I'm just looking for opinions of exposure, composition, etc. I'm still very new to photography so I'm looking for all the help I can get, be it basic or advanced.

I'd suggest exploring different subjects, so far it seems you've been primarily focusing on still life compositions that reflect your tragic story. Get out with your camera and explore.

No offense man, but **** that. You're seriously telling him to stop taking 'serious' photos and just dumb it all down to birds or something?

I'm not saying to 'only' take these kinds of pictures, but it's obviously powerful. Isn't that the point (or at least one of them), to move people? The dude has a story to tell - let him tell it. It may even be part of his 'healing process', and could possibly deter other people from the same actions.

It's not like I was saying I have the power to censor or direct what he chooses as his subjects, it was just my suggestion.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom