What's new

Violent Implication

I'd suggest exploring different subjects, so far it seems you've been primarily focusing on still life compositions that reflect your tragic story. Get out with your camera and explore.

No offense man, but **** that. You're seriously telling him to stop taking 'serious' photos and just dumb it all down to birds or something?

I'm not saying to 'only' take these kinds of pictures, but it's obviously powerful. Isn't that the point (or at least one of them), to move people? The dude has a story to tell - let him tell it. It may even be part of his 'healing process', and could possibly deter other people from the same actions.

It's not like I was saying I have the power to censor or direct what he chooses as his subjects, it was just my suggestion.

Dude, I knew that. I was commenting on the fact that you made the suggestion, not that the OP was obligated to obey it or anything like that. Anyway, maybe I was too harsh. Don't take it personally.

I'm just saying, sometimes the darker side needs to be explored. But yeah - like others have said, try not to linger there too long. Avoiding it entirely can't be healthy either though. There's a balance somewhere in there that is both healthy and eye opening.
 
Not trying to be a dick, but why not get out, shoot some positive things, things that don't revolve around darkness and remind you about your attempted suicide. . . it seems like maybe you are just ripping the scab off when it needs time to heal. I could be way off base. . . maybe embracing your life choice, and shooting "dark" subject matter could be therapeutic, I dunno, I know all our brains work differently.

As for the shot posted here, while conceptually it does little for me, at least things are in focus. The shadows I think work, gives more depth to what could just be a very flat picture.

Good luck with your journey towards recovery. I know that it's a difficult process and time may not always heal things, but it helps things.


Edit: I see now where subject matter was kind of hit on, not trying to beat a dead horse...

Thank you for your input on the photo itself, I appreciate it. As far as the dark subject matter, I think of it like this. This is something that happened to me. On March 2nd, I tried to kill myself. I spent 41 days in a hospital, caused a lot of heartache to family and friends, and lost the girl I love. It is an experience that has changed me and I feel it's for the better. I'm getting the help that I need and I feel that the pain, stress, and heartbreak that stemmed from this have made me stronger. I take these pictures because I don't want to forget. I don't want to forget the worst mistake I've ever made and how it changed my life. I'm not going to be able to stop thinking about it any time soon, and even if I did, it doesn't change the fact that this happened. I also hope that my pictures of this subject may help somebody who is considering suicide. It may be far-fetched, but it could happen. I don't want anybody to go through what I and the people I care about went through.

I don't get the posts about his subject? Our experiences make us who we are. There's no reason to totally block off our emotions bc they may be a little dark.

Thank you, my thoughts exactly.

I'm just looking for opinions of exposure, composition, etc. I'm still very new to photography so I'm looking for all the help I can get, be it basic or advanced.

I'd suggest exploring different subjects, so far it seems you've been primarily focusing on still life compositions that reflect your tragic story. Get out with your camera and explore.

No offense man, but **** that. You're seriously telling him to stop taking 'serious' photos and just dumb it all down to birds or something?

I'm not saying to 'only' take these kinds of pictures, but it's obviously powerful. Isn't that the point (or at least one of them), to move people? The dude has a story to tell - let him tell it. It may even be part of his 'healing process', and could possibly deter other people from the same actions.

Thank you, it actually is helping me in the healing process. A lot.

I don't get the posts about his subject? Our experiences make us who we are. There's no reason to totally block off our emotions bc they make be a little dark.


That's why I was sure to add a caveat, in some ways, it is all part of the recovery process. No one is saying to disconnect from emotions. I have a very close friend, like a brother to mee, attempted suicide, spent the next year dwelling on things and always looking at the darker/negative side of life, that is NOT helpful when you are trying to get in a better place.

I'd suggest exploring different subjects, so far it seems you've been primarily focusing on still life compositions that reflect your tragic story. Get out with your camera and explore.

No offense man, but **** that. You're seriously telling him to stop taking 'serious' photos and just dumb it all down to birds or something?

I'm not saying to 'only' take these kinds of pictures, but it's obviously powerful. Isn't that the point (or at least one of them), to move people? The dude has a story to tell - let him tell it. It may even be part of his 'healing process', and could possibly deter other people from the same actions.

It's not like I was saying I have the power to censor or direct what he chooses as his subjects, it was just my suggestion.

And I respect your opinion, but this really isn't the only thing I'm photographing. And it's helping me heal and cope so I feel it's a good thing.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom