What's new

Virgin River with small waterfall--C&C Please

LittleMike

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 17, 2010
Messages
295
Reaction score
29
Location
Utah
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's what I found today. This is an often overlooked spot about 100 yards away from where the shuttle system in Zion NP drops you off at the Temple of Sinuwava. I know I had overlooked it several times before going back and capturing this! Let me know what you think :)

The conditions were just before sunset and deep inside a 1000ft canyon, with no direct sunlight.

IMG_2568.jpg


Canon 5D Mk II
f/22
6 sec exposure
ISO 100
 
Here's what I found today. This is an often overlooked spot about 100 yards away from where the shuttle system in Zion NP drops you off at the Temple of Sinuwava. I know I had overlooked it several times before going back and capturing this! Let me know what you think :)

The conditions were just before sunset and deep inside a 1000ft canyon, with no direct sunlight.



Canon 5D Mk II
f/22
6 sec exposure
ISO 100


Utah huh....makes me want to move. I like the shot, I am not sure how anyone overlooks this! I would have dropped your exposure time alot, 6 seconds is way too long if you are just trying to capture the water movement. You could also get a Neutral Density Filter and have similar effects without much of a difference in exposure time than without one. Speed it up a little and the water wouldn't look blown out in area's.
 
Things like this are actually overlooked all the time. It's amazing how much there is here! There are some of the world's largest sandstone cliffs, some towering over 3000 feet from the canyon floor, and all within 30 minutes of my home :)

Thanks for the advice on the exposure. I'll try to go closer towards early afternoon (the sun only hits the cliffs in the morning) when it will be a little brighter. I'll also bump the iso up just a little if need be.
 
If my browser would stop crashing everytime I looked at exif data I might be able to help more! Being this is a 6 second exposure, you must have a few things going there. Your ISO might pretty low (that's good), I would think you had a small aperture, your dop is pretty wide. So I would assume the light was really bad in there or your whole picture would be blown out at 6 seconds.
 
I agree it would be better with a shorter shutter speed. Instead of giving the water a movement effect you kind of made it look fake.
 
Great shot and outstanding for the beginners' section.

I really like how the photo has 4 'stages' where the bottom is all water, above that is trees. On top of the trees you have dark colored rock and above that is lighter colored cliff-side. Sort of climb up with your eyes.
 
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll head back up sometime this upcoming week and try it again with a shorter shutter speed and post up the results. I'm thinking I'll try to aim for about a one second exposure this time.

Reznap, thank you for the complement. It's always encouraging to hear something like that and really gives you a drive to go out and do it more!

Darkhunter, thanks for being honest. It's so good to know what I need to do to improve.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom