Votes: 20 39.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Absolutely Not!

Votes: 23 45.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, the critique forum is going to attract too many types of people that expect too many different things out of this one place. Who are we to tell someone they cant tell someone they did a nice job on their photo without providing any technical backup? Sometimes thats all someone feels like posting, and I doubt the OP would be offended by that comment. It doesn't take away from anyone else's critique. Just my thoughts, it's a complex issue that I have a hard time taking one person's side on.

And that is exactly why some of us would love to see a panel put in place of those who could respond to the crits.
No different from any organization crit panel.

Anyone who is disturbed by Max's style should get a life. I doubt that very many pros were coddled and told their work was great when it left considerable quality to be desired.

skieur

It is interesting to me that someone who agrees with Max's behavior mimics the behavior by telling the rest of us to "get a life" if we do not agree. Makes my point perfectly.

While I am not a pro photog, I AM a professional business coach with over 10 years of professional experience, so I am sure I can speak with some authority about the giving and receiving of feedback (I teach courses professionally on the subject). There is a difference between coddling and providing professional, polite, specific feedback. If you do not know the difference, you should not be providing feedback regardless of your technical knowledge. The risk is doing far more harm to someone than good.

Giving "tips" is an added bonus if you're so inclined to give them and have the time. But they are not intrinsically part of critique. There is no functional distinction between errors made by beginners and errors made by professionals, except that errors made by professionals tend to be taken more seriously because they're supposed to know what they're doing. But the critique either way, that is an explanation of what aspects of the photo with regard to technique and any personal significance of the image to the viewer, is the same. The vast majority of photos that are taken by beginners and posted for critique contain errors precisely because the photographer does not know how to avoid them, and often does not recognize what they are in the first place. To point them out does not require that tips be given. Especially with true beginners, there are often problems too numerous and too general to adequately provide them anyway. It is incumbent on the photographer to request them. If someone is posting portraits in which the faces are underexposed, and that is pointed out, it is not required of the critic to recommend that fill-flash or a reflector be used, but rather that the photographer ask "what can I do to avoid this particular problem in the future?" In this way, more specific and pertinent assistance can be given, which avoids critics giving laundry lists of tips and asks photographers to legitimately invest themselves in the learning process.

As for words of encouragement. They're great when constructive. I'll try to give more of them.

I'd vote "No" too Max.

I have a couple of problems with your crits generally.

Firstly, you seem to think that critique means, "to rip apart". It doesn't. It means to analyse.
Secondly, I am often weary of crit given to those who can't apply it to their own work.

The crit forum is a cluster because every tom/dick/harry has a different opinion, and most of them think it's a bash fest.

Another reason it doesn't work, is because no one is looking at the posters work from the poster's experience level. Yeah, it matters.

And lastly, very rarely, is both the GOOD pointed out in the photo. Only the bad. Crit is analysis, and there is RARELY something ALL bad.

So no Max. That's my vote. Nothing personal dude. :)

Wowww! I know I just quoted myself, but I hadn't read Hertz and Chillers responses until now. We all said the exact same thing pretty much.
Chiller, get OUT of my head man!
BTW-the new avatar is cool.:D

Chiller, get OUT of my head man!
BTW-the new avatar is cool.:D

whahaha....you should see whats in there chicky. :lol::lol: btw...isnt this the second time I was wandering around in your thoughts. :wink:

I say give him a shot. I feel Max is being sincere in his request and efforts to improve both his ability to CC and improve TPF. If it turns out he becomes a total ass instead I doubt that it will be allowed for too long.

Giving "tips" is an added bonus if you're so inclined to give them and have the time. But they are not intrinsically part of critique. There is no functional distinction between errors made by beginners and errors made by professionals, except that errors made by professionals tend to be taken more seriously because they're supposed to know what they're doing. But the critique either way, that is an explanation of what aspects of the photo with regard to technique and any personal significance of the image to the viewer, is the same. The vast majority of photos that are taken by beginners and posted for critique contain errors precisely because the photographer does not know how to avoid them, and often does not recognize what they are in the first place. To point them out does not require that tips be given. Especially with true beginners, there are often problems too numerous and too general to adequately provide them anyway. It is incumbent on the photographer to request them. If someone is posting portraits in which the faces are underexposed, and that is pointed out, it is not required of the critic to recommend that fill-flash or a reflector be used, but rather that the photographer ask "what can I do to avoid this particular problem in the future?" In this way, more specific and pertinent assistance can be given, which avoids critics giving laundry lists of tips and asks photographers to legitimately invest themselves in the learning process.

As for words of encouragement. They're great when constructive. I'll try to give more of them.

Read what you just said Max. You still aren't seeing it.
You seem to think crit is about ERRORS when in fact, that is only a small part of what a good crit is.
Crits are about what is right, what is wrong (your favorite part it seems), and most importantly they are about how you INTERPRATE the photo, and in what manner YOU FEEL the photo could be improved. (And if you can give detailed information about all of the above, it helps greatly)

I'm not trying to dump on you Max. You obviously take the time to respond to posts. It's just the way you do it, the personal experience behind them, and what I believe is your lack of understand of what a true crit consists of.

You are obviously well worded at times, and consice in your feelings. The thing I would suggest to help you in your future crits would be to take your own work to an organization judging team, and listen to how they do it. I have, on many occassions, and it's a real eye opener to be sure.

All the Best and Happy New Years!

whahaha....you should see whats in there chicky. :lol::lol: btw...isnt this the second time I was wandering around in your thoughts. :wink:

Holy Crap Chill. I might frighten even you. You don't want to go to THIS darkside. LOL.

Where do I sign up for the "Bringing back the Old" campain?

Now I've read most of the posts that are on this thread, but regrettably not the most recent, so that's just a bit of a disclaimer.

Anyways, I think Max's critique is such a critique that it's really a love/hate thing. When Max says something to you, I'd say it's hard to take it with a moderate/middle of the road attitude. What he says is either "Wow, super helpful, I agree 100%" or "Wow, super hurtful, I disagree 100%". And because of that, because of that love or hate thing goin' on with Max, I don't think he'd be a good moderator. A good moderator should be someone who is, well, hate to make a play on words here, but a good moderator should be someone who is moderate. Moderate in not only what they are saying, but more importantly, how they are saying it. A moderator should be someone who is more in tune with the effects of their words than is Max. I, personally, appreciate what Max says to me, and take what he says in as good a nature as I can and generally agree with. But, I can't say, with any honesty, that he has not been a jerk in what he says, or in the way he says things sometimes. And to me, a moderator should be someone who shocks you when they piss someone off, and not be someone you expect to be pissed off by.

Read what you just said Max. You still aren't seeing it.
You seem to think crit is about ERRORS when in fact, that is only a small part of what a good crit is.
Crits are about what is right, what is wrong (your favorite part it seems), and most importantly they are about how you INTERPRATE the photo, and in what manner YOU FEEL the photo could be improved. (And if you can give detailed information about all of the above, it helps greatly)

I'm not trying to dump on you Max. You obviously take the time to respond to posts. It's just the way you do it, the personal experience behind them, and what I believe is your lack of understand of what a true crit consists of.

You are obviously well worded at times, and consice in your feelings. The thing I would suggest to help you in your future crits would be to take your own work to an organization judging team, and listen to how they do it. I have, on many occassions, and it's a real eye opener to be sure.

All the Best and Happy New Years!

Don't nit-pick. You can see in my recent loooong post that one of the major problems I outlined was that of non-substantive positive posts, of the sort that might begin with "I feel the shot could be improved by..."

I've had my work critiqued by some extremely talented professionals. I know the drill.

Ok, Paula, Simon be cool. Where's the third member of the "dream team?"

Ok, ok. You know the drill, and you know what's going on, and you know what the problems and the solutions are.....
I got it.

Even thought I personally wouldn't want you as a mod, especially in the crit section, I still like ya as a person....pretty much:lol:

*now signing off this thread*

Ok, Paula, Simon be cool. Where's the third member of the "dream team?"

Well I can't be one...only PPA people know what real critiques are ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back