Wait for 5D IV? Get a7R II?

FYI the rumors over at Canonrumors is that the 5D mk IV won't be announced until late this year and the release probably won't be until about April of 2016. As Derrel said, the 5Ds and the 5DsR were released this summer. These are more for studio portrait and landscape photogs.

The latest rumors that I am seeing are for the next body to be announced is the 1Dx mk ii.

Now to answer your question, there is certainly nothing wrong with the 5D mk iii, heck I would love to have one for myself. I was in the same boat you are in during the middle of July. I was waiting to find out about the 5D mk iv or getting the 7D mk ii. I finally decided that I would get the 7D mk ii for football season and then see what the 5D mk iv has to offer if/when it is announced.

good luck.

Funny enough I've been using the 7DMKII way more than the 5DMKIII. Well for photos anyways.

I liked the 7D II, great camera, took that and 5D II on a couple of long roadtrips, got to compare them. I wanted to downsize to one body and 3 lenses and not have to carry 2 cameras around with 4-5 lenses, the bag was too big, load too heavy, and I found myself constantly wasting way too much time deciding which camera to use... Ultimately I decided to return the 7D, get rid of 5D II and just get one camera to keep for the next couple of years. Had to go full frame, just works better for me. Hopefully I made the right choice.

I shot mostly birds this summer so I liked the crop factor and the high FPS of the 7D.

Normally tho I prefer the quality of the 5D.

Come on guys, you know ye wish ye had gone nikon....

Hides

:band:

Come on guys, you know ye wish ye had gone nikon....

Hides

:band:

I know you are messing :) but wondering if they would still be frustrated or wanting - like Coastalconn and others. So, the D750 for example - great camera, seemingly everything a photographer needs; sensor, dnr, low light etc. etc. But not 10fps, small in the hands according to some (that is one of the factors), not a crop (that is a factor), different lens selection than what Canon offers (that is a factor), buffer, amount of weather sealing, built like a tank or not.....

What would really be nice is if we could breed the cameras or simply have them made to order like a computer. :)

Ya messing, I wouldn't bring wrath down on myself by seriously saying one brand is definitively better than another.

To be honest I think the d7200 is enough for an enthusiast birder/sports person but I can see where 6fps is limiting (not for me)and the buffer isn't bad compared to previous d7100 (which was terrible buffer wise for such a n expensive camera). I used a friends 7d2 the other day, I have now kind of forgot the canon menus but boy is that thing customizable and built like a tank. 10fps is something else

At this level of camera some do some jobs better, saying which one is better is a tough call

Ya messing, I wouldn't bring wrath down on myself by seriously saying one brand is definitively better than another.

To be honest I think the d7200 is enough for an enthusiast birder/sports person but I can see where 6fps is limiting (not for me)and the buffer isn't bad compared to previous d7100 (which was terrible buffer wise for such a n expensive camera). I used a friends 7d2 the other day, I have now kind of forgot the canon menus but boy is that thing customizable and built like a tank. 10fps is something else

At this level of camera some do some jobs better, saying which one is better is a tough call

Yup yup, can you imagine how crazy it is for a newbie? So you bounce all over the internet gathering information. You find several people seemingly being objective and honest saying 'the gap between crop & ff cameras has narrowed' in several ways or, 'it's tough to buy a bad camera these days'. One brand will leap frog the other historically.
Then you make your way to TPF and get all of our opinions, knowledge, biases, etc. My own schtick is to go look at photos made with any 3 or 4 or 5 year old cameras by someone who knows what they are doing. Then decide if you need the latest greatest best of the best.

BTW - I think you are very fair and honest in your posts regarding 'what camera should I buy' threads.

Last edited:

Yup yup, can you imagine how crazy it is for a newbie? So you bounce all over the internet gathering information. You find several people seemingly being objective and honest saying 'the gap between crop & ff cameras has narrowed' in several ways or, 'it's tough to buy a bad camera these days'. One brand will leap frog the other historically.
Then you make your way to TPF and get all of our opinions, knowledge, biases, etc. My own schtick is to go look at photos made with any 3 or 4 or 5 year old camera by someone who knows what they are doing. Then decide if you need the latest greatest best of the best.

BTW - I think you are very fair and honest in your posts regarding 'what camera should I buy' threads.

Thanks. I get (got ) half my hobby interest in photography by swapping, trading etc. It's not possible anymore as the secondhand market here has crashed and I'd lose to much. Between that and getting goes off friends gear in a local camera club I think brand loyalty isn't really worth much, but what someone likes to do with there camera is. I try to give a helpful opinion but at the end of the day I am not half as experienced as most here, so if I'm contradicted or put someone wrong I'm (usually) happy to be guided myself

Canon knocked it out of the park with the 7dmkii, it was really the D300 replacement that folks have been begging for on the nikon side for years.

Canon knocked it out of the park with the 7dmkii, it was really the D300 replacement that folks have been begging for on the nikon side for years.

Even though I own a Nikon, I'm still wishing Nikon would make an equivalent, who knows, maybe I'll pick one up, but when that time comes maybe Nikon will have something similar.
11995961_537562853060590_8152950503508277199_n.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back