Mark_McCall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.markmccallphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
MorganCastleweb.jpg

not bad. i would lose the border if i were you. the lighting is really good. the framing seems a little off to me though. too much black space above her head, maybe move her over to the right a little bit.

Lighting and composition-wise I like it. If you don't mind me asking, what is the purpose of this portrait?. It's just a very unusual setting and clothing on a girl.

I like it. The only part that bugs me is the difference in white balance between your subject and background. Looks like you placed your main to almost simulate the light coming from the open window, but with that light much cooler than your flash, well, it just looks a bit out of place.

This was a digital background, right?

Lighting and composition-wise I like it. If you don't mind me asking, what is the purpose of this portrait?. It's just a very unusual setting and clothing on a girl.
PPA Print Competition

I like it. The only part that bugs me is the difference in white balance between your subject and background. Looks like you placed your main to almost simulate the light coming from the open window, but with that light much cooler than your flash, well, it just looks a bit out of place.

The color temperature difference is the look I create regularly, especially at weddings. ie:flash lights subject, shutter drag creates ambiance. Without it, the subject would be completely yellow.
Dragging the shutter to bring up ambient light is an age old trick.

As for the background, the image was created on a Virtual Background Image Enhancement System.

It's just a very unusual setting and clothing on a girl.
Did you not see the title?+
The scene is a princess/queen waiting for the king (to return).

It's a great concept and I think it was carried out very well.

My critique is that I think there is too much space on her right side and she's a bit small in the overall composition.

It's a nice theme, a great location/set,and the clothing is excellent. After reading the suggestion above to crop off some of the right hand side, I held my hand up to the screen and cropped off that bright, yellowish whatever it is in the upper right hand corner area, near the edge of the frame...to me that yellow blobbi-ness is very distracting. I thought that with about 1/6 or so of the right hand side of the frame cropped off, that the two blue-hued, narrow stained glass window to the right of the girl were a perfect visual echo for the two LARGE, wide ones on the left hand side of the image.

I like the photo, but I think the hairlight on the right hand side of her hair looks artificially strong...not subtle enough. Thanks for posting your photo, and good luck in the competition. I can understand how some people might prefer a cooler light on her, to more closely mimic the coolness of the light entering the stained glass....and then again, there are people who associate warm, yellow light with princesses and old-timey things...six of one, half dozen of the other I guess.

yeah, lose the border and do what darrel said.

The color temperature difference is the look I create regularly, especially at weddings. ie:flash lights subject, shutter drag creates ambiance. Without it, the subject would be completely yellow.
Dragging the shutter to bring up ambient light is an age old trick.

As for the background, the image was created on a Virtual Background Image Enhancement System.

I think the thing that makes it weird for me is typically, indoors, especially when using flash and dragging the shutter, the background is going to be warmer than the subject unless you gel your flash.

For me, it just looks like two different(well lit and well executed) images taken at different white balances.

Obviously, the judges disagreed with me and the rest of the opinions here, since I believe you were merited on this one?

I think the thing that makes it weird for me is typically, indoors, especially when using flash and dragging the shutter, the background is going to be warmer than the subject unless you gel your flash.
That would depend on the color temperature of the background light. Warm will show up yellow spectrum, cool will show up in the blue spectrum or at any temperature in between.

For me, it just looks like two different(well lit and well executed) images taken at different white balances.
It's a single capture.
But every image is really two captures in one. Foreground/background. The image creator has (or should have) command over each independently.

Obviously, the judges disagreed with me and the rest of the opinions here, since I believe you were merited on this one?
That is correct.

I really like this. I love the concept. I, too, think the hairlight is a tad bright, and it should be cropped a tad from the right. But I really, really like it. Well done, good sir.

Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back