Walk Around Town: C&C Request

I like the capture of the archways.

...and the solemness at the Vietnam memorial. Good work, Rick. :thumbup:

Thanks. Fan. I did't notice until I posted it, but the first one has a list to the right. I fixed it on my PC, but I couldn't figure out how to edit just that shot.

The second one is the best. I like the tonal range and the textures of the arches and columns. However, that piece of wall with a rough texture in the lower right keeps drawing me away.

Thanks for the input Ken. Any suggestions? I didn't want to lose the base on the colunms.

Hey Rick, walk around town....brave man! :p
I really like the second one!! I might crop a little off the bottom to avoid the the spot that Ken C. mentioned. Where was this shot taken? :D

Arches_BW_zps49b3ff4d.jpg

Mishele, It's the entrance to the Charles Evans Cemetary. I might have to go back and try it again. I really like bottom collars for the gothic look, but I do see the texture clash.

Here's the original:

View attachment 22205

Second is very nice. Third is a bit of an inventory shot... not picking on you for it, just calling it out as I know it's something you are at least pondering as a tendency.

In particular, taking pictures of statues is tough... you're essentially capturing someone elses art so you either have to present it in a particularly new or interesting way, or you're just taking a picture of a statue, which really has no impact.

Second is very nice. Third is a bit of an inventory shot... not picking on you for it, just calling it out as I know it's something you are at least pondering as a tendency.

In particular, taking pictures of statues is tough... you're essentially capturing someone elses art so you either have to present it in a particularly new or interesting way, or you're just taking a picture of a statue, which really has no impact.

I know what you mean Manny, The park is loaded with statues. Photographing them, including this one, looks like a post card or a tourist shot. It's hard to be much more , but I should get a 1/2 point for removing the sidewalk light from the top of his helmet :lol:

I don't know if you know, but I spend a fair bit of time looking for particularly interesting cemetery angels and shooting them. If you're curious, I can post some examples that I think work from the "shooting someone else's art" perspective.

Absolutely I would. Thanks. I've been to many cemetaries, but none with as many truely unique monuments as Charles Evans.

Yay, I get an excuse to show off my girls... :D

==1==
Concord%20Cemetary%20Angels%20-%20082.jpg

This is Mary. For her I waited (and waited and waited) for a very stormy day to get a really moody sky. I also did off-camera flash with an umbrella to really make her face pop against that sky. (having an umbrella up while shooting by myself in a storm? fun!)

==2==
Salem%20Day%20-%20St%20Mary's%20Cemetary%20-%20026%20bw.jpg

This is Dempsey. I was trying to capture the mood that I got from looking at her, and this is how I felt that was best represented. There are (I believe) a lot of subtleties to her. In fact, of my three girls I believe she is the most subtle.

==3==
Salem%20Day%20-%20St%20Mary's%20Cemetary%20-%20052.jpg

And this is Foisy. I don't think there's much subtlety to her. :lol:

In general, I treat each angel as if they were a person and try to capture a portrait of them. I try to find the angle (angel? :) that is most complimentary and really brings out the mood and characteristics I'm looking for. And just like people, the choice of angle can be VERY significant.

For example... there's THIS angel... who is very beautiful... but this shot of her is absolutely terrifying. In truth, I can't ever seem to capture her without her looking scary so I've decided she's probably evil and I need to stay the hell away from her. :lol:

Concord%20Cemetary%20Angels%20-%20086.jpg

But the point is, it shows you how something beautiful can be captured in a manner that is very NOT beautiful.

I also have some of Mary that weren't quite right, but I'm loathe to show them as Mary is my absolute favorite. :)

I have off tomorrow, so maybe I'll run down. =) Or up...lol You are north of me.

Very nice Manny, I see you don't attempt to capture the entire monument, just the portrait. It sounds like a very interesting hobby...and yeah... your nemesis angel does seem a little p*ssed off :lol:

Mishele, this entrance is on Center Ave. Have fun. It's a beauiful cemetary.

Wow, those two were taken at CE? The last time I was there was when I was a kid and my family used to go for walks in the cemetery.

Most reactions

Back