Want camera with fast shutter speed and low lag time

For example, the Olympus OM-D mirrorless versus the Canon 6D full frame DSLR:
1) The mirrorless has a center single point AF shutter lag of 0.277 seconds, versus the more expensive DSLR's center single point AF shutter lag of 0.290.
2) Both cameras go to 1/4000th of a second.
3) The mirrorless shoots with double the FPS.

My source gives slightly different numbers:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-6d/canon-6dA.HTM said:
Our lab timed the Canon 6D's autofocus shutter lag, using single center-point AF, at 0.290 second, which is actually slower than average for a prosumer DSLR. It's hardly noticeable in real world-usage, however, and I found the 6D to be generally quick to lock in on a subject and snap a photo when I pressed the shutter.

When using the full 11-point Auto Section AF mode, the 6D was faster, according to our lab tests, averaging 0.206 second (though it varied widely, between 0.1 and 0.3 in our tests.)

As with most cameras, prefocusing by half pressing the shutter is the way to go with the Canon 6D. This produced a lag time of just 0.059 second, which is quite fast for a DSLR. On the other hand, AF lag in Live View mode was longer, which is no surprise. We clocked it at about 1.7 seconds using the phase-detection based AF "Quick Mode." Strangely, using Live Mode, (contrast-detection AF), it was a lot faster at 0.7 second.

So these numbers include AF. The center point may be 0.290 second but using every AF point resulted in times of 0.206 second. This beats the OM-D.

Taking the AF out of the equation changes the numbers even more. It lowers the time to a mere 0.059 second.

For what it's worth, live-view times were 1.7 second for phase-detection and 0.7 second for contrast-detection.

Uh, right. I used that number because it was a fair comparison between the two cameras...

You can't take one camera and include its focusing time, and another camera and use the PRE-focused time, and then go "Oh man look! That second camera is way faster." If you're going to use the 6D pre-focused time, you need to compare that to the Olympus pre focused time. Which, unfortunately, I was not able to find listed.

Most reactions

Back