Want to buy a Camera

clear.gif
I agree with getting it on amazon, the service rocks
clear.gif
Yup.

Buy from one of the well established vendors. Amazon, Adorama, B&H or Calumet. If someone is offering it much cheaper than these guys, beware of that vendor.

Just watch for some deals on Adorama and B&H. I ended up getting the XS new with the 18-55 kit lens and a 70-300 lens for 499.00 with no shipping. No need mentioning which site I used but one had the camera in stock and the other didn't so I went with the in stock so I didn't have to wait. It seems to be a great entry level camera and I have seen some people on here who have upgraded to some high dollar lenses and still use the XS body and it works great.

The one thing I have noticed when I was looking is that some of the prices are dropping quickly so sometimes the used market is a little high priced. Around me anyway a few guys had XTi's for sale and were asking $500.00 for the body. They paid a lot more then that for them a few years ago but you can get a new one now for $525.00 with a bunch of goody's.

so... was it used or new for that price? if it was new PM me the site! lol hell if not would you please PM me the site? haha I want an XS

so... was it used or new for that price? if it was new PM me the site! lol hell if not would you please PM me the site? haha I want an XS

I guess that Canon must send out some special prices from time to time because when I ordered mine a few months ago B&H, Adorama, and Amazon, all had them for about the same price. That said there was a $150.00 online rebate and the price was $499 (after rebate) with both lenses. Actually if you bought it just with the kit lens and not the 70-300 it was $520.00. I checked all three sites today and they were not close to that price at all. I was actually shocked to see the kit I got is now close to $700.00. I figured that they were just claiming to have a sale that is always on.

Maybe somebody on here can tell you how often they run these specials???
It would definitely be worth waiting to save that kind of money.

I forgot it was new for that price.

I'd suggest you go for a Nikon or Canon. They are the big two, as mentioned previously, and you'll have the greatest range of flexibility in the accessories and lenses you can get with those two brands.

Or, the D40 is an inexpensive, entry-level slr, priced consistently with the market and its feature-set which is appropriate for its target audience.
indeed it is, and I still have one along with a D80, D300 and D700....IMO, it is a great starter and outstanding bang for the buck....

outstanding bang for the buck....

Sorry but it's not. The image quality it produces is ok but it's not outstanding bang for buck. The D40 is far too gimped for that. The XSi is better value and the Pentax K200D even better bang for buck (the latter being the outstanding bang of buck ).

Sorry but it's not. The image quality it produces is ok but it's not outstanding bang for buck. The D40 is far too gimped for that. The XSi is better value and the Pentax K200D even better bang for buck (the latter being the outstanding bang of buck ).

How much bang for the buck a particular model offers is a very, very subject thing. What is very important to you, may be meaningless to me. I can't see it as "right or wrong."

I think it's more important to know what a persons expectations are, and to spend more time and effort talking about glass than bodies. Digital bodies get replaced far more quickly than good lenses.

Hmmm, I am not sure of this would be much help, but when I was looking for a my first DSLR, I had two choices, there were either Canon 450D or Nikon 60D. At the end I chosed Canon 450D because I think it has more room for expansion on the front end, rather than Nikon D60.

Also, I didn't even think about Nikon D40 because I think, as much as I'm a beginner, I would rather not buy something that I can easily outgrow... would be nice when you have something that is easy enough to learn as a beginner and at the same time, give you room to expand as well.
;)

Hmmm, I am not sure of this would be much help, but when I was looking for a my first DSLR, I had two choices, there were either Canon 450D or Nikon 60D. At the end I chosed Canon 450D because I think it has more room for expansion on the front end, rather than Nikon D60.

Also, I didn't even think about Nikon D40 because I think, as much as I'm a beginner, I would rather not buy something that I can easily outgrow... would be nice when you have something that is easy enough to learn as a beginner and at the same time, give you room to expand as well.
;)

Exactly, the Nikon D60 and D40 both are very limited, easy to outgrow and don't work properly with some AF lenses ( no in body motor ) or non-CPU lenses, so it's a body that, if a photographer is likely to expand their collection is likely to be quickly outgrown.

The 450D isn't so limited and the K200D even less so. I'd happily use a K200D to take proffessional quality images using a 50 year old lens, not easily done on a Nikon 40 or 60.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back