Want to get into outdoor portraits

CraniumDesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevendavisphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I have a Canon Rebel XS, a Canon 50mm f/1.8, a Canon 100-400 L f/4-5.6, and a Canon 17-40L f/4.0.

I also have a Canon Speedlite 430 EXII.

I want to get into outdoor portraiture, possibly engagement photos. Can anyone tell me how to get into this or point me to some good resource son how to learn?

I currently only do landscape and wildlife, and dont know much about flashes or artificial lighting. Thanks!

hi steven,

if you really do want to make the switch from wildlife to couples to be engaged i would look at wedding photography websites and go to forums with that subject to learn. one thing for sure is don't go out and invest in artificial lighting untill you know for sure this is a switch you want to make.
all the best,

wim

wimfotocards.blogspot.com

How to get into it? Get a friend and go out and practice shooting. If you had a Nikon D80/90 or above I'd recommend you use your flash off camera for more dramatic lighting....not sure what you need to do to get that with your Canon but I think you have to get a hot shoe deal that will trigger it (if you want to keep TTL). Nikon's is called an SU-800. Anyway, I'd start small and go out and shoot with your 50mm f1.8 and no flash and try to use your creative sense with posing and backgrounds.

Last edited:
How to get into it? Get a friend and go out and practice shooting. If you had a Nikon D80/90 or above I'd recommend you use your flash off camera for more dramatic lighting....not sure what you need to do to get that with your Nikon but I think you have to get a hot shoe deal that will trigger it (if you want to keep TTL). Nikon's is called an SU-800. Anyway, I'd start small and go out and shoot with your 50mm f1.8 and no flash and try to use your creative sense with posing and backgrounds.

hes using Canon . . .

If you want to get into it seriously, you'd do well to look into getting an original Canon 5D and some good lenses for people photography. The 17-40mm focal length range is very ugly on people when using APS-C,and short focal lengths like those between 17 and 40mm all will render your backgrounds very much in-focus on an APS-C camera body. A 17-40mm lens is not adequate or well-matched to doing couples photography, so you'll need to look into a qualitiy lens, or two.

This is an area where light control can be paramount, meaning the ability to do daylight fill-flash is important, as is knowing how to use reflectors to fill in shadows. The ISO 50 capability of the original 5D makes it a great camera for doing flash in daylight while maintaining aperture control and not running out of shutter speed options.

The 17-40mm focal length range is very ugly on people when using APS-C,and short focal lengths like those between 17 and 40mm all will render your backgrounds very much in-focus on an APS-C camera body. A 17-40mm lens is not adequate or well-matched to doing couples photography, so you'll need to look into a qualitiy lens, or two.

So what is the appropriate focal length for doing portraiture with an APS-C? I know that you're not a fan of APS-C, Derrel, but I find a 50 mm a bit tight for a whole body shot. Do I just want to be further away?

One of my fave resources for lighting is Strobist: Lighting 101

Also, check for any strobist meets in your area. Its often a good idea to meet face to face with people who are in the know. One of the best ways to learn.

The 17-40mm focal length range is very ugly on people when using APS-C,and short focal lengths like those between 17 and 40mm all will render your backgrounds very much in-focus on an APS-C camera body. A 17-40mm lens is not adequate or well-matched to doing couples photography, so you'll need to look into a qualitiy lens, or two.

So what is the appropriate focal length for doing portraiture with an APS-C? I know that you're not a fan of APS-C, Derrel, but I find a 50 mm a bit tight for a whole body shot. Do I just want to be further away?

yes, just move back. i have heard 50mm is good for 1-2 people, and ~70mm is good for groups. or was it the other way around? i dont know. it was on a youtube video i saw. this is full frame though. a 50mm on a crop sensor is more like 80mm, so yeah.

How to get into it? Get a friend and go out and practice shooting. If you had a Nikon D80/90 or above I'd recommend you use your flash off camera for more dramatic lighting....not sure what you need to do to get that with your Nikon but I think you have to get a hot shoe deal that will trigger it (if you want to keep TTL). Nikon's is called an SU-800. Anyway, I'd start small and go out and shoot with your 50mm f1.8 and no flash and try to use your creative sense with posing and backgrounds.

hes using Canon . . .

Yeah...typo, I meant the bold word to be Canon. Saying that he can do CLS type stuff with his Canon but it requires Canon's' equivalent to Nikon's SU-800. I don't know what the Canon one is called.

Canon's is an SB-28, although he could also just use trigger it with a cable, or use off camera triggering with cactus triggers, or PW's, or Cybersyncs, or RadioPoppers... etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back