Wanting to make a big jump to DSLR: Canon G7 to Canon D60/T3i/D7

I don't think there is any difference video wise between the 60D and T3I. I think at one point one had a slightly better interface for audio inputs but I'm not sure if that still applies.

I was in the same boat considering both cameras not too long ago. Basically they're both gonna take the same photos though the 60D has a slightly better auto-focus. The biggest difference is with the build quality. It's like you're paying $100 extra to have a slightly nicer shell. This may seem like a waste, but, if you ever plan on purchasing larger lenses such as many from the L series, putting that size lens on a T3I makes it look silly. It's kinda like a super tiny pick-up truck towing a giant boat. With the 60D it's more like a middle-sized truck.

Because I knew I wanted a 24-70L (which is a pretty large lens), I decided to go for the 60D and really like it. It's totally up to you and either choice is a good one!

Yeah, I'm definitely hearing this. That is awesome that you were in the same situation and went with the 60D. Some other benefits are of course the faster burst mode. You never know when your 6 week old is going to crack a 3 second smile, and getting a ton of pics is great. Or when your little rugrats are running around laughing their heads off and you want a faster shutter speed to capture them. 1/8000 vs 1/4000 if I'm correct. Seems that the 60D also has a better battery life which is important because you can get more miles on it before needing to charge. And of course the AF coverage and better body that you mentioned. That's an awful lot of plusses for 1 hundro so I couldn't see myself buying the t3i at this point. Sounds like you made the right decision :p

Where I'm at, a T3i is $850 and a 60D is $1200 which was my deciding factor. My limit was $1045. I was just like this. "Should I save up for a 60d or just get a T3i?" well I did tons of research and I just couldn't wait any longer. So I got a T3i, especially for the video. I've had it for 3 days now. Do I wish I got the 60D? No. This T3i is my first DSLR ever, and I am so overwhelmed with all of the options. This is definitely a camera that will take me a while to grow out of. Now I want some better lenses. When I would play around with the Cameras, I liked the 60d better in my hands, but the T3i felt nice too. They are both Win-win cameras Imo. Like others said, the main difference is the body, but to me at the stage I'm at, it's not enough to get me to dish out the extra $300. If I were you, I'd definitely save room for a nice lens! If you can get a 60d with a nice lens, do that. If you can't, get the T3i with a nice lens! Don't forget about everything else you'd probably like, too. You need a nice SD card, might want a bag, you might want some coverage on the camera, too.

Most reactions

Back