Wanting to make a big jump to DSLR: Canon G7 to Canon D60/T3i/D7

Majeed Badizadegan

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'll be straight forward and honest with my situation so I can get the best possible recommendations from all of you folks with a lot more experience than myself:
  1. I'm new to this forum but google referred me to a lot of useful threads on this site, and it sounds like a community I want to be part of.
  2. I have no DSLR experience.
  3. I have a very nice computer with adobe CS5 up and running. I am just learning and touching the tip of the iceberg with CS5 and the world of PP.
  4. I may in the future begin to shoot events for friends for free to gain experience and to see if it is something I enjoy, and eventually look to sell prints or do some side work at wedding/events for a fee.
  5. I want to take my passion for photography to the next level.
  6. I personally don't think you can put a price on the quality of pictures you take of your children as they grow up, and having two young ones myself I'm willing to spend around $1,500 for lense and body at this point.
I am highly comfortable with my current Canon G7 and get a lot of good photos with it. However, I feel that I have outgrown the G7. I want to upgrade to a better body and start shooting with lense for the first time. The two cameras I have been eyeing are the 60D and T3i. I've spent probably close to 6 hours reading about both of these cameras, watching video, reading user comments, etc. and my leaning at this point is to the 60D based on the general consensus and feel I've got from most threads. It seems that the t3i is better for video. I am very interested in shooting high quality video, but I don't want to sacrifice photo quality for video. Will the 60D suffice for video mainly of family events and such? I've also looked at the D7 but it may be out of my price range.

I don't know if I fully understand how STEEP the learning curve will be for me to learn everything all at once. Learning how to use CS5, lenses, and the advanced features that these DSLR's offer. But, I'm up to the challenge and love this type of thing.

So, given my current situation and what I am looking to do, what recommendations do you all have? I will gladly accept advice about anything that I have mentioned in this post.

Specifically your thoughts on the 60D vs. T3i, Lenses I should consider given my budget, general advice for transitioning to DSLR, anything you can think of.

Thanks in advance!​

Last edited:
Some info in a recent thread: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...to-gallery/247926-rebel-xs-t3i-canon-60d.html

Indeed, model names are 60D and 7D. Remember this because if you search for info on the web, D60 is a Nikon model.

Nice catch! All the model names get to be a blur after a while but I was definitely talking about Canon 60D. I've updated it now.

Among many others, the link you put here was one of the threads I read through today. It does have very helpful information, thanks for the reply.

i was in your shoes just a couple months ago my previous camera was a sanyo xacti. i also read reviews and such for the canons and some nikons.. the variable angle screen with the t3i is one of the main reasons i went with it mainly because my sanyo xacti had one too. it really helps especially when shooting/filming in very very weird, awkward positions and angles (ex. birthday parties in a crowded house.. ability to hold the camera up high and tilt the screen downwards = lifesaver!!) yes there is not much difference/upgrades between the t2i and t3i but that display screen is a seller. as far as video quality goes for the t3i is fantastic! i am aware that the 60D is just as similar but at that time the t3i was selling for cheaper and it still is.. i also like how the t3i felt better than the 60D and t2i. both these cameras seem to have gone down in price and knowing how retails work. they are going to go down even more if you just wait a little longer (say 1-2 months?) chances are they'll throw out some package deals too where they throw in memory cards and what not..

i paid just a little over $1000 after taxes including accessories (bag, uv lens filter, extra battery and some other goodies) the lens (18-55mm) it comes with is actually pretty decent.. here are some pictures i've taken with it as a reference --> www.ericsalazar.ca but as you have probably have read online.. please do go to your local retail stores and try out these cameras (60D and t3i) or you can find a local store like Headshots Rentals - Pro Photo, Rentals, and Sales so you can rent both cameras for a weekend and make your decision from there.

oh and once you've decided and made your purchase.. read the manual ;) its exactly how i learnt what i know about shooting with my camera. hope that helps!

i was in your shoes just a couple months ago my previous camera was a sanyo xacti. i also read reviews and such for the canons and some nikons.. the variable angle screen with the t3i is one of the main reasons i went with it mainly because my sanyo xacti had one too. it really helps especially when shooting/filming in very very weird, awkward positions and angles (ex. birthday parties in a crowded house.. ability to hold the camera up high and tilt the screen downwards = lifesaver!!) yes there is not much difference/upgrades between the t2i and t3i but that display screen is a seller. as far as video quality goes for the t3i is fantastic! i am aware that the 60D is just as similar but at that time the t3i was selling for cheaper and it still is.. i also like how the t3i felt better than the 60D and t2i. both these cameras seem to have gone down in price and knowing how retails work. they are going to go down even more if you just wait a little longer (say 1-2 months?) chances are they'll throw out some package deals too where they throw in memory cards and what not..

i paid just a little over $1000 after taxes including accessories (bag, uv lens filter, extra battery and some other goodies) the lens (18-55mm) it comes with is actually pretty decent.. here are some pictures i've taken with it as a reference --> www.ericsalazar.ca but as you have probably have read online.. please do go to your local retail stores and try out these cameras (60D and t3i) or you can find a local store like Headshots Rentals - Pro Photo, Rentals, and Sales so you can rent both cameras for a weekend and make your decision from there.

oh and once you've decided and made your purchase.. read the manual ;) its exactly how i learnt what i know about shooting with my camera. hope that helps!

That is really helpful. Thanks for the reply. I have seen some occasional deals and I'm going to heed your advice and actually go hold both of these cameras in my hands so I can feel them and see what I prefer.

I don't know if I fully understand how STEEP the learning curve will be for me to learn everything all at once. Learning how to use CS5, lenses, and the advanced features that these DSLR's offer. But, I'm up to the challenge and love this type of thing.

As they say, if you have to ask... Focus on one thing at a time. It's all too easy to get overwhelmed in this hobby. If you've looked at reviews of both of these cameras (real reviews with spec sheets, tests, etc., not "user reviews") then you know they are nearly identical on the inside, one just comes in a slightly larger package. Often people will say "go to a store and hold both, play around with them" and pick the one that feels best. IMO, there is usually more to it than that. However, in this case it holds true. If you like the feeling of a bigger body, go 60D, if not, go Rebel. Stick with the kit 18-55 IS for now. You do indeed have a steep learning curve in front of you, and a great deal of what you need to learn can be accomplished with the kit lens.

Books are your best friend here. "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson is the most recommended book on internet fora, and it's a good place to start. Scott Kelby has a three volume series of books available individually or as a boxed set called "The Digital Photography Book". Kelby's books are more tricks and tips, while Peterson's book is more about the mechanics of photography. Read Peterson first, it's an easy read geared towards the absolute beginner. Kelby's books are good for your second read.

CS5. The learning curve is fairly steep here as well, and you need to learn the fundamentals first. Scott Kelby also writes excellent books for Photoshop and I would recommend "The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers". Not all inclusive, but it will teach you the fundamentals of pping (cropping, resizing, color correction, b&w conversion, sharpening, setting up your printer, to name but a few).

With the money you save by not buying any additional lenses at the beginning, you could:
-Buy a speedlight. 430EX at a minimum, 580EX is better, but pricier. Anything below the 430 is underpowered.
-Buy a good tripod. Bogen/Manfrotto makes nice tripods and heads that won't brake the bank. Figure around $250US.
-Put the money aside and add to it here and there for the future when you know what lenses you want for the type of shooting you find yourself doing most often.

There really is no standard lens collection. The lenses I own would mostly work for some people, and not at all for other people. What you need is something you figure out on your own as you learn more about photography and learn what types of shots you want that you can't get with the lens(es) you own. And good glass is expensive. Don't go cheap, save the money and buy quality. I guarantee people will suggest the 50mm 1.8 and rave about what a great lens it is. Yes, for $100US it's great value, but overall the only thing it has to recommend it is much better optical quality than one would expect for a $100 fast prime. Everything else about it is somewhat lacking. Save for the Canon 50 1.4, or Sigma 50 1.4. Again, it's about quality.

One final thing to consider: Once you start buying things like speedlights and bigger glass, you'll find a small body like a Rebel starts to feel very unstable.

I forgot to mention video. It's not as easy as you think with a DSLR. You will need to manually focus as you shoot, so for most people, an HD camcorder is still the best route, unless you want to go thru the learning curve for that as well.

As they say, if you have to ask... Focus on one thing at a time. It's all too easy to get overwhelmed in this hobby. If you've looked at reviews of both of these cameras (real reviews with spec sheets, tests, etc., not "user reviews") then you know they are nearly identical on the inside, one just comes in a slightly larger package. Often people will say "go to a store and hold both, play around with them" and pick the one that feels best. IMO, there is usually more to it than that. However, in this case it holds true. If you like the feeling of a bigger body, go 60D, if not, go Rebel. Stick with the kit 18-55 IS for now. You do indeed have a steep learning curve in front of you, and a great deal of what you need to learn can be accomplished with the kit lens.

Books are your best friend here. "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson is the most recommended book on internet fora, and it's a good place to start. Scott Kelby has a three volume series of books available individually or as a boxed set called "The Digital Photography Book". Kelby's books are more tricks and tips, while Peterson's book is more about the mechanics of photography. Read Peterson first, it's an easy read geared towards the absolute beginner. Kelby's books are good for your second read.

CS5. The learning curve is fairly steep here as well, and you need to learn the fundamentals first. Scott Kelby also writes excellent books for Photoshop and I would recommend "The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers". Not all inclusive, but it will teach you the fundamentals of pping (cropping, resizing, color correction, b&w conversion, sharpening, setting up your printer, to name but a few).

With the money you save by not buying any additional lenses at the beginning, you could:
-Buy a speedlight. 430EX at a minimum, 580EX is better, but pricier. Anything below the 430 is underpowered.
-Buy a good tripod. Bogen/Manfrotto makes nice tripods and heads that won't brake the bank. Figure around $250US.
-Put the money aside and add to it here and there for the future when you know what lenses you want for the type of shooting you find yourself doing most often.

There really is no standard lens collection. The lenses I own would mostly work for some people, and not at all for other people. What you need is something you figure out on your own as you learn more about photography and learn what types of shots you want that you can't get with the lens(es) you own. And good glass is expensive. Don't go cheap, save the money and buy quality. I guarantee people will suggest the 50mm 1.8 and rave about what a great lens it is. Yes, for $100US it's great value, but overall the only thing it has to recommend it is much better optical quality than one would expect for a $100 fast prime. Everything else about it is somewhat lacking. Save for the Canon 50 1.4, or Sigma 50 1.4. Again, it's about quality.

One final thing to consider: Once you start buying things like speedlights and bigger glass, you'll find a small body like a Rebel starts to feel very unstable.

Wow! Thank you for the detailed response and hitting on every major point that I brought up in my OP. I will definitely heed your advice and look at those beginner guides to help me in the beginning. Also, thanks for the lense recommendations. I will keep that in mind as well. I was actually wondering about the tripod last night-- that would be a purchase down the road but thanks for the brand recommendation.

The only cause for concern is your last statement... Are you insinuating that the 60D will be too small once I get into bigger lenses and what not? If so, do you recommend a different camera or different configuration? Take price out of the equation just for the sake of argument.

The only cause for concern is your last statement... Are you insinuating that the 60D will be too small once I get into bigger lenses and what not? If so, do you recommend a different camera or different configuration? Take price out of the equation just for the sake of argument.

The 60D is the bigger of the two. It will be a more stable platform for big lenses and speedlights than the T3i. Tho, you could go for a used 50D which is a bit bigger than the 60D and has a Magnesium Alloy body instead of plastic. Just a thought.

Interesting. I would probably go with the 60D just because of the flip out screen and 9AF sensor. What are your thoughts on the video functionality between the 60D and t3i. I feel like I have read a lot about how the t3i might be the better option for video.

Thanks again.

The 60D is the bigger of the two. It will be a more stable platform for big lenses and speedlights than the T3i. Tho, you could go for a used 50D which is a bit bigger than the 60D and has a Magnesium Alloy body instead of plastic. Just a thought.

Interesting. I would probably go with the 60D just because of the flip out screen and 9AF sensor. What are your thoughts on the video functionality between the 60D and t3i. I feel like I have read a lot about how the t3i might be the better option for video.

Thanks again.

I'm not the one to ask about video with an slr. I think at this point it's more of a sales driven feature. Until someone comes out with an slr that does video as easy as a dedicated video camera, I'll hang on to my camcorder and continue to use that for video. From reviews I've read, tho, there doesn't seem to be any real difference between the two for video, tho I could be wrong as video just doesn't interest me in an slr. Again, as previously stated, video with an slr is not as easy as you think. It brings it's own learning curve and skill set.

Thanks again.

I'm not the one to ask about video with an slr. I think at this point it's more of a sales driven feature. Until someone comes out with an slr that does video as easy as a dedicated video camera, I'll hang on to my camcorder and continue to use that for video. From reviews I've read, tho, there doesn't seem to be any real difference between the two for video, tho I could be wrong as video just doesn't interest me in an slr. Again, as previously stated, video with an slr is not as easy as you think. It brings it's own learning curve and skill set.

Yeah I totally see what you are saying. I read an interesting article that an SLR outperformed a couple more expensive devoted video cameras. So that is super interesting. If I'm going to drop $1k-$2k on camera/lense etc., I want it to be able to do video for me too, ya know? That's where I'm coming from :).

Yeah I totally see what you are saying. I read an interesting article that an SLR outperformed a couple more expensive devoted video cameras. So that is super interesting. If I'm going to drop $1k-$2k on camera/lense etc., I want it to be able to do video for me too, ya know? That's where I'm coming from :).

I hear you, and there's also the story of the last episode of "House" being filmed with slr's. What they don't tell you is there were $k's of additional equipment used with the camera, and of course being operated by skilled cameramen doesn't hurt either.

So basically, if you want to shoot vid with an slr, yes, you have the option of high quality, interchangeable glass. You will also need an external mic, I believe. What I do know, is currently Canon's video has the edge over Nikon. However, when investing in an slr, my first consideration would be how it functions as an slr, video would be second. I'm not trying to discourage you from shooting video with an slr, I just want you to understand it ain't "point and shoot". Or "point and roll".

the way they are better regards mainly the availability of very fast lenses for less money than on videocameras. This allows for very thin depth of field.
However, as pointed out by subscuck, this means at least having an external microphone to avoid camera noises, and some extras, and a possibly steep learning curve. I'm not against, however. My next camera will be a 60D, and I will give a try at video.

I forgot to mention video. It's not as easy as you think with a DSLR. You will need to manually focus as you shoot, so for most people, an HD camcorder is still the best route, unless you want to go thru the learning curve for that as well.
Well some have auto focus and face tracking.

Most reactions

Back