Wanting to make a big jump to DSLR: Canon G7 to Canon D60/T3i/D7

dont just stick to canon because its what you have. Do some research on other companies you might fine what you really need in other brands.

Well I think my Canon rocks and I've read a ton of articles/comparisons/threads/reviews that have lead me to believe that the 60D as an entry SLR would be the best price point/feature set/value for my dollar. It's not really a brand loyalty thing, it's a lot of research and comparisons that has lead me to favor the 60D over other comparable cameras from different companies.

Well as long as you did your research. I used to be a canon guy but after trying out the button layouts of nikon cameras I'm never going back.

Yeah I totally see what you are saying. I read an interesting article that an SLR outperformed a couple more expensive devoted video cameras. So that is super interesting. If I'm going to drop $1k-$2k on camera/lense etc., I want it to be able to do video for me too, ya know? That's where I'm coming from :).

I hear you, and there's also the story of the last episode of "House" being filmed with slr's. What they don't tell you is there were $k's of additional equipment used with the camera, and of course being operated by skilled cameramen doesn't hurt either.

So basically, if you want to shoot vid with an slr, yes, you have the option of high quality, interchangeable glass. You will also need an external mic, I believe. What I do know, is currently Canon's video has the edge over Nikon. However, when investing in an slr, my first consideration would be how it functions as an slr, video would be second. I'm not trying to discourage you from shooting video with an slr, I just want you to understand it ain't "point and shoot". Or "point and roll".

Excellent point! I did not know about the filming of House with SLRs. That is really cool, especially since I watch that show and watched the last season. And you're absolutely right, I am Photo quality first in this purchase, but I want to make sure that Video is fully flushed out in the 60D and isn't just a side feature that isn't fully developed. It sounds like it will be more than enough for what I need it for :)

Yeah I totally see what you are saying. I read an interesting article that an SLR outperformed a couple more expensive devoted video cameras. So that is super interesting. If I'm going to drop $1k-$2k on camera/lense etc., I want it to be able to do video for me too, ya know? That's where I'm coming from :).

the way they are better regards mainly the availability of very fast lenses for less money than on videocameras. This allows for very thin depth of field.
However, as pointed out by subscuck, this means at least having an external microphone to avoid camera noises, and some extras, and a possibly steep learning curve. I'm not against, however. My next camera will be a 60D, and I will give a try at video.

Enzo, if you get this camera before me, tell me what you think! and the external microphone would definitely be on the shopping list if I really got into video, so very good point.

Well as long as you did your research. I used to be a canon guy but after trying out the button layouts of nikon cameras I'm never going back.

One of the first reviews I hit was the 60D on CNET here. One of the major complaints in the reviews was the button layouts, as you've said. That review definitely drove me away from the 60D, but I eventually came back to it after a lot more research and found that the general consensus is that 60D is a great camera. Any recommendation for a DSLR comparable to the 60D that Nikon makes which would be just as good or better and around the same price?

I was in your shoes a few months ago... you'll get there no problem.

Although I haven't been paid for any shoots i've done, i'm starting to be asked to do shoots as I'm getting my name around friends and family and eventually references will start. Also this allows me to build my portfolio. As others have said, try and feel both Nikon and Canon, both are great companies with great tools for you to do what you need to do in photography. I love my Nikon D90.

4-5 months ago, I knew nothing about DSLRS and photography... i've been reading about it every day, viewing tutorials, playing around with the camera day in, day out.. and now, I'm comfortable with all the shooting modes , including manual and understand reading histograms and using light meters, bouncing flash, fill flash etc etc... i've also self taught myself photoshop cs5, Ligthroom 3... so , you definitely need to put the time in to study and just practice.. but also, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Good luck ... oh and i got into it cuz of my baby.. totally worth it!!!

I don't think there is any difference video wise between the 60D and T3I. I think at one point one had a slightly better interface for audio inputs but I'm not sure if that still applies.

I was in the same boat considering both cameras not too long ago. Basically they're both gonna take the same photos though the 60D has a slightly better auto-focus. The biggest difference is with the build quality. It's like you're paying $100 extra to have a slightly nicer shell. This may seem like a waste, but, if you ever plan on purchasing larger lenses such as many from the L series, putting that size lens on a T3I makes it look silly. It's kinda like a super tiny pick-up truck towing a giant boat. With the 60D it's more like a middle-sized truck.

Because I knew I wanted a 24-70L (which is a pretty large lens), I decided to go for the 60D and really like it. It's totally up to you and either choice is a good one!

I was in your shoes a few months ago... you'll get there no problem.

Although I haven't been paid for any shoots i've done, i'm starting to be asked to do shoots as I'm getting my name around friends and family and eventually references will start. Also this allows me to build my portfolio. As others have said, try and feel both Nikon and Canon, both are great companies with great tools for you to do what you need to do in photography. I love my Nikon D90.

4-5 months ago, I knew nothing about DSLRS and photography... i've been reading about it every day, viewing tutorials, playing around with the camera day in, day out.. and now, I'm comfortable with all the shooting modes , including manual and understand reading histograms and using light meters, bouncing flash, fill flash etc etc... i've also self taught myself photoshop cs5, Ligthroom 3... so , you definitely need to put the time in to study and just practice.. but also, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Good luck ... oh and i got into it cuz of my baby.. totally worth it!!!

:). It sounds like we have a lot in common. Great advice, glad to see you that you overcame the learning curve so quickly. Your situation is almost exactly where I want to be in half a year. I already have the reputation as the photographer in my extended family, I make do with what I've got with the Canon G7. But getting into this kind of stuff is going to be exciting and fun.

I don't think there is any difference video wise between the 60D and T3I. I think at one point one had a slightly better interface for audio inputs but I'm not sure if that still applies.

I was in the same boat considering both cameras not too long ago. Basically they're both gonna take the same photos though the 60D has a slightly better auto-focus. The biggest difference is with the build quality. It's like you're paying $100 extra to have a slightly nicer shell. This may seem like a waste, but, if you ever plan on purchasing larger lenses such as many from the L series, putting that size lens on a T3I makes it look silly. It's kinda like a super tiny pick-up truck towing a giant boat. With the 60D it's more like a middle-sized truck.

Because I knew I wanted a 24-70L (which is a pretty large lens), I decided to go for the 60D and really like it. It's totally up to you and either choice is a good one!

Yeah, I'm definitely hearing this. That is awesome that you were in the same situation and went with the 60D. Some other benefits are of course the faster burst mode. You never know when your 6 week old is going to crack a 3 second smile, and getting a ton of pics is great. Or when your little rugrats are running around laughing their heads off and you want a faster shutter speed to capture them. 1/8000 vs 1/4000 if I'm correct. Seems that the 60D also has a better battery life which is important because you can get more miles on it before needing to charge. And of course the AF coverage and better body that you mentioned. That's an awful lot of plusses for 1 hundro so I couldn't see myself buying the t3i at this point. Sounds like you made the right decision :p

So much monies!
What would you say are the major feature advantages that 7D has that 60D doesn't? I've already google'd it, but in your opinion, what makes the biggest difference?

So much monies!
What would you say are the major feature advantages that 7D has that 60D doesn't? I've already google'd it, but in your opinion, what makes the biggest difference?

From what I remember, again, I don't think there is much difference image quality-wise between the two. The T3i, 60D, and 7D all use the same image sensor. However, the 7D is known for it's significantly increased burst speed and much better auto-focusing which makes it great for sports photography and slightly at better low light performance. It's also built with a better shell than the 60D and is more weather sealed. The 60D has the swivel screen whereas the 7D does not. I think you'd be much better off spending the price difference on lenses as that will make a much bigger difference.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back