Was FX worth the upgrade to you?

I've danced around with the idea of FF too. For me it would be just too big of an investment right now to replace my DX lenses and, I really haven't run up against that many limitations with my D7000. It's a lot like switching from a Shure to a Neumann recording microphone. Yes there is a difference but I'm not willing to shell out $5K to get it and by the time I bought the body and lenses, I'd have more than that in it. (Now watch me turn around and buy a FF next month......lol)

I see you are thinking of the D800, from what I read the D800 has advantages for the pro, for people who use this as a hobby the D800 has little advantages, its files are huge and the overall picture quality isnt much better then the D600.

Get the D600 and smile you lucky guy!!!

BTW I know people better then I know cameras, I can read most people well, I find most of us are the same and our needs and wishes are same.
Our brain many times makes us want stuff we need more or less, I was all into buying stuff to get that sutisfaction.
I was into fountain pens and I invested a furtune in it, yes more then most invest in their photography equipment.
I am glad I got this collection under control and thats another eason I didnt get the D600, I didnt want to get equipment I dont know how to use or cant use well just for the satisfaction.
In your case it looks like you really will be able to use the D600 as it was intended to.

....much as i appreciate the encouragement,i think you read way to far into this.First,I don't have that disposable income.Second,I too am a hobbyist.I guess I'm just saying there is not enough to me to justify a 600.That being said,I really don't know,as I've never even held a FF.In reality,I think,for what I'm trying to accomplish,another used 200 and some triggers would make me happy.

I don't have a FX digital camera, but I can tell a big difference between my F100 and D300 images, as far as DOF, that makes me want to go FX digital... i'd probably save money and get a used D700 body though.

Ok...Goodguy is onto me...lol.Vtec,looking at your list of equipment,I guess this is really where my questions come in.If I were to shell out that kind of jingle for the 600,would I be better off shelling out a little more for the 800 (used)?As far as noise,isn't that really becoming a non-issue with the development of software (Imay be way wrong here)?So now were down to wider angle,shallower DoF. I have no argument for that...lol.

To be honest, the D600 is hell of a great deal for the quality image that it produces. I got it during the bundle deal for 2k with a 24-85vr lens and sold the lens for $400. So I got the camera for $1600 with a bunch of free stuff. The D600 has even lower noise compare to the D800 at 3200 and 6400 ISO. If you don't need the full magnesium body then get the D600. It's faster, lighter, and can produce images that are just as good as the D800. However, a few features that I like in the D800 that's not available in the D600 are one click zoom to 100%, full magnesium body, sync port. The D800 is also prone to motion blur. I typically shoot it at around 1/160 shutter speed without flash, vs 1/90 on D7000 and D600.

I'm a hobbyist who owned a D5100 and recently upgraded to a D600 and I'm loving it. Did it make me a better photographer? No, but I definitely see a difference in the quality of my images, especially in low light. I also love the Kelvin white balance.

If money is an issue we are at the same boat, you can get the D600 refurbished by Nikon for 1600$ body only and thats amazing but if you think the D600 is an over kill for you then I guess the D7000 is the right camera for you.

Did it make me a better photographer? No, but I definitely see a difference in the quality of my images

By difference in quality, do you mean better quality?

The night before I got my D600, I sat down with the specs of both the D600 and the D800. I wanted to see if I should keep my powder dry and save up a bit more for the D800.

I went through and crossed out all the stuff that's basically equal between them. What was left was, of course, the big differences. Line by line, I compared the two, and asked myself which set of specs better fit my style of shooting. In the end, the D800 couldn't hold a candle to the D600. But that's a valid remark only in my case..... YMMV.

In short, I couldn't justify the extra expense of the D800 as the D600 did what I needed a camera to do. While overall the D800 may be 'better', is wasn't worth my hard-earned scratch.

In short, I couldn't justify the extra expense of the D800 as the D600 did what I needed a camera to do. While overall the D800 may be 'better', is wasn't worth my hard-earned scratch.

...I guess thats my only point of the 600 over the 7000....eventually,i'll play with a 600,and if it blows me away,it will go on my wishlist.If it doesn't,I can easily spend $1600 that I don't have on other items,that I don't have.

...I guess thats my only point of the 600 over the 7000....eventually,i'll play with a 600,and if it blows me away,it will go on my wishlist.If it doesn't,I can easily spend $1600 that I don't have on other items,that I don't have.

Yet there are things that are important to me that the D600 can do that the D7000 cannot. That's how I justified the D600.

The D600 didn't 'blow me away'..... It did what I really wanted my D7000 to do but just couldn't.

It was worth it for me, but I already had the lenses. The main advantages are shallower DOF, and better low light sensitivity (lower noise at High ISO). I don't think a hobbyist really needs it... unless the hobbyist really wants it. You will need to replace every lens you have, if you are as picky as I am.

Personally, I would stick with the D7000... and seriously upgrade your lenses.

What he said.

I didn't go D800 until I had the 24-70 and the 70-200. Not that you have to go THAT crazy, but you need the FF lenses or it's not worth having the FF camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back