What's new

Wasn't expecting that...

penfolderoldo

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 26, 2011
Messages
337
Reaction score
23
Location
Edinburgh
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, did a bit of gear evaluation, and decided since 99% of my work is press and around 75% of that is sports I didn't need 2 FF bodies. Sold the 5D II, and got a great deal on a 1D mk IIN, allowing me to pick up the new-ish Canon 8-15L fisheye zoom. Thus far i'm loving both, however when I was talking to the 1D IIN seller he said he'd throw in the lens that he'd used on it, as he didn't reckon it was worth much, and I figured i'd just stick it on ebay n get a few quid back for it.

Anyway when it arrived turns out it's a Sigma 20-40 f/2.8 EX DG. Never heard of it before, but seemed in decent nick, and the few reviews seemed ok, so thought i'd give it a whirl. Big shock - it's really good! IQ's nice, it's sharp, good rendition, no intrusive distortion, a really good piece of glass! Ok, so it's not quite on a par with the 17-40L, but it's certainly not a kick in the arse off. Might just hang on to it for now...​


 
Using crop camera is 10X better than using a TC on a FF. 8-15L eh.. nice. I wish I had money to spend on a lens I will barely use. Im thinking about buying a cheap korean made fisheye. I heard nothing but good thing about it. It doesnt have AF, but we all know if you set it to around f/8, everything will probably be in focus anyway with a lens that wide.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=09A3V3SZ41EF0MHBNXDZ
 
What do you think to the 1Dmk2 ?
 
Using crop camera is 10X better than using a TC on a FF. 8-15L eh.. nice. I wish I had money to spend on a lens I will barely use. Im thinking about buying a cheap korean made fisheye. I heard nothing but good thing about it. It doesnt have AF, but we all know if you set it to around f/8, everything will probably be in focus anyway with a lens that wide.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=09A3V3SZ41EF0MHBNXDZ

I've heard good things about the rokinons, image quality's meant to be really good. I did have to think long and hard about whether i'd recoup the grand spent on the 8-15 or not, and I think it gives such unique images there's always the danger of over using it, but time will tell I spose.
 
What do you think to the 1Dmk2 ?

Fantastic - had it out at a cup game last night, 3200 all the way and very little noise. AF seems much better than the 1D mk3 I was using earlier this year too, which was a bit of a surprise. I'd say the noise was as good as the 7D I was using, and the AF was possibly better, so all in all i'm very happy with it.
 
Using crop camera is 10X better than using a TC on a FF. 8-15L eh.. nice. I wish I had money to spend on a lens I will barely use. Im thinking about buying a cheap korean made fisheye. I heard nothing but good thing about it. It doesnt have AF, but we all know if you set it to around f/8, everything will probably be in focus anyway with a lens that wide.

Amazon.com: Rokinon FE8M-C 8mm F3.5 Fisheye Lens for Canon (Black): Camera & Photo


And thts why all the professional sports photographers are using crop bodies these days, eh?
 
And thts why all the professional sports photographers are using crop bodies these days, eh?

The majority of sports pro's (myself included) use crop bodies - and believe me, the majority do - Jake because in sports high fps counts for a heck of a lot, and the majority of high fps options come on crop bodies, it's that simple. The added reach with a crop body can be useful as Schwetty says, but that's not the main reason. That said, there is one I can think off that gets by perfectly well using a couple of 1Ds mark III's... :)
 
So, did a bit of gear evaluation, and decided since 99% of my work is press and around 75% of that is sports I didn't need 2 FF bodies. Sold the 5D II, and got a great deal on a 1D mk IIN, allowing me to pick up the new-ish Canon 8-15L fisheye zoom. Thus far i'm loving both, however when I was talking to the 1D IIN seller he said he'd throw in the lens that he'd used on it, as he didn't reckon it was worth much, and I figured i'd just stick it on ebay n get a few quid back for it.

Anyway when it arrived turns out it's a Sigma 20-40 f/2.8 EX DG. Never heard of it before, but seemed in decent nick, and the few reviews seemed ok, so thought i'd give it a whirl. Big shock - it's really good! IQ's nice, it's sharp, good rendition, no intrusive distortion, a really good piece of glass! Ok, so it's not quite on a par with the 17-40L, but it's certainly not a kick in the arse off. Might just hang on to it for now...​


On a roll! :) good show!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom