Water drop - process improvement!

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
More water drop refraction experimentation. This time I think I’m finally getting close to what I’m envisioning. Watched a couple more tutorials and some video interviews with the water drop king, Don Komarechka - I feel like these latest are much better than the previous attempts. #1 and #4 being the closest to the look I was going for. Thoughts? Critiques? Suggestions?

Here a few that I think turned out pretty well.

lazy daisies by SharonCat..., on Flickr

glow by SharonCat..., on Flickr

x 3 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

drop in by SharonCat..., on Flickr

And a few that were kind of funny. This one looked like glasses
I see you by SharonCat..., on Flickr

And this one looks like a frog to me
the frog by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Yes, definitely an improvement from the first batch that you posted here the other day.
I really like the black background area in shot number two!

Here’s the set up if anyone is interested.

Held the flash manually so it lit the background flower but not directed at the drops themselves.

644E1119-48FA-4A34-81D3-F7A9589BCD6B.jpeg

2BC14C2D-001B-4535-B75C-D685C7B7ABAB.jpeg

And this third hand tool is the best $7 I’ve ever spent on Amazon!
E7736DAC-A765-42C8-9FE8-AE83881AE6A9.jpeg

Yes, definitely an improvement from the first batch that you posted here the other day.
I really like the black background area in shot number two!

Thanks. I like the black background too. I wish I hadn’t cut off that drop in the right in that one. I was struggling with focusing and must have moved the tripod and didn’t catch it until later. I may try that again and black out the whole background and have just the drops floating in air with just a tiny bit of the leaf showing through. If I can figure out how to still have the flower kit enough to show in the drops. Removing the background may be a post process step.

Very good set, all clever stuff.........

Thanks...

I really like these. Much better.

Watched several tutorials a while back. Something I'd like to play around with during the winter months. I'll keep the flash set up in mind. Most used a bright flashlight. I see a syringe. Did you thicken the water like some do?

Cleaver setup, really cool set of photos

Thanks I appreciate the feedback.

Great set.

I need to try this sometime.

It’s fun but can be a bit frustrating. Getting good focus and placement of the flower takes time and the drops don’t stay in place for long.

I really like these. Much better.

Watched several tutorials a while back. Something I'd like to play around with during the winter months. I'll keep the flash set up in mind. Most used a bright flashlight. I see a syringe. Did you thicken the water like some do?

I got the flash process from Don Kom. If you light the item in the background and have less light on the drops it makes them appear to glow.

I used 50/50 water and glycerin. I read a good tip to refrigerate the solution first which seemed to help the drops stay in place longer. The syringe is key to controlling the drops. I really struggled when I tried it without that. It was a cheap buy on amazon which is also where I got the note holders that I used for holding the background in place. Background is from a book of scrapbook paper that I got on sale at michaels.

Next step getting this all to work with a reflection underneath!

Great set and thanks for sharing the backstory. Always interesting to see the process behind the shot.

Great set and thanks for sharing the backstory. Always interesting to see the process behind the shot.

Thanks. I hate to take away from the “magic” but a peak behind the curtain is interesting when it comes to macro. I used to see shots like this and naively imagine people laying in the dew trying to get just the right angle lol.

Thanks for sharing, especially the “behind the scenes” feedback. I was actually just doing a little reading yesterday on flashes to integrate with macro...to my naive eye that appears to be a fairly basic speed light (relatively speaking) with a diffuser? Any suggestions for a purchase based on your experience? TIA.

Thanks for sharing, especially the “behind the scenes” feedback. I was actually just doing a little reading yesterday on flashes to integrate with macro...to my naive eye that appears to be a fairly basic speed light (relatively speaking) with a diffuser? Any suggestions for a purchase based on your experience? TIA.

Yes it’s a Godox Tt350 and the diffuser cap that came with it. I don’t use it very often so can’t really recommend it or not. I haven’t had any issues with it and batteries seem to last ok. This one I mainly use on camera or hand hold using the cord. I have a larger version as well that I use on a stand for ocf.

Nice set and #2 looks best but the last pic is cool because it gives the impression of two eyes peaking over the flower petal.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back