Water Drops

el_shorty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Some water drops I did last weeks, I used a HiViz photogate trigger delay unit to trigger my camera, drops were released manually with an electric valve.

5710208821_89272ebfb0_o.jpg

5710208881_6b18da1dfe_o.jpg

5710771908_d415eb6b4e_o.jpg

5710208859_e8f88c579c_o.jpg

5710771780_5c190be6b0_o.jpg

5710771754_470aeca156_o.jpg

You sir have the most interesting water drop images I have ever seen on this forum!

Congrats!

These are very cool shots, what was your set up?

Absolutely amazing stuff, very well done Rene!

These happen so quickly and on such a small scale, that without high speed photography, we would never be able to see such wonderous things! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks everybody for the comments.

These are very cool shots, what was your set up?

I used the HiViz Multitrigger to trigger my camera, it helps a lot with timing, I also used two strobes, an SB-600 to light the background and an SB-900 to light the drop from the right side.
I used a solenoid valve for the dropper which I triggered with a switch and it's powered by 8 AA batteries, a drop is released every time I press on the switch. The water in the dropper was mixed with guar gum and food coloring and in the tray I had water mixed with rinse aid.
I didn't take any photos of the whole setup but I will put all together again tonight and take photos of it and i will post them here.

excellent shots!

though I personally don't like the yellow background.

Ive taken thousands of shots of water drops and that umbrella look has always alluded me. But I think the secret is the drop rate. All this time Ive been allowing too much time between drops. I imagine the drop rate is pretty quick to get this effect. Is that right Shorty?

Last month for my birthday, I asked for a timing setup system to get these shots....lol They said it would take 4 wks.:grumpy: I look forward to doing this!!
Nice shots!!

Ive taken thousands of shots of water drops and that umbrella look has always alluded me. But I think the secret is the drop rate. All this time Ive been allowing too much time between drops. I imagine the drop rate is pretty quick to get this effect. Is that right Shorty?

You are right, I cannot tell you exactly how fast but it's as fast as my finger can push on the switch continuously, but I need to figure out a different system for the dropper because with what I have right now I am not getting the results I want.

Last month for my birthday, I asked for a timing setup system to get these shots....lol They said it would take 4 wks.:grumpy: I look forward to doing this!!
Nice shots!!
Thanks, what timing system are you getting?

excellent shots!

though I personally don't like the yellow background.

Thanks, after going through hundreds of shots to pick the ones you see here I started getting sick of the yellow and red I used for the shots I took, next time I will make backgrounds with softer colors.

Last edited:
More water drops. For this set I used plain water in the tray and water mixed with rinse aid on the dropper and I added red food coloring for the last four.

5713101033_9a487e226d_o.jpg

5713101101_0af05d41bf_o.jpg

5713663396_e337a43c0c_o.jpg

5713663446_31a5a5f261_o.jpg

5713663470_8f8a36121c_o.jpg

5713101211_e28555f1aa_o.jpg

5713101245_a2a97f7b9b_o.jpg

Last edited:
You sir have the most interesting water drop images I have ever seen on this forum!

Congrats!

Seconded! Amazing stuff, love the last ( currently ) visible one in the original post... Looks like a mushroom ha!.. Ever any issues with getting drops on the lens? They somehow find their way to my front element... even with the hood attached.. would also like to know more about the mechanical valve... I always figured my pinhole through a Subway bag was obsolete nowaday.

I was using a hypo like gyzmo that was for refilling printer inks. But I moved up to a punctured ziplok bag. I wish there were a way to control the flow so the drops would come out very quickly. Having the drop hit the rising drop creates very explosive interesting shots as compared to the simple rising column or crown.

Most reactions

Back