What's new

Waterfall Pics

dmanning11

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 13, 2012
Messages
109
Reaction score
19
Location
Gold Coast
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does any one know of a 52mm ND filter?
these were taken using a polarizing lens and setting to F8 but there is still to much light getting in.

Any thoughts opinions tips or tricks please share.

P1040540Custom.jpg


P1040367StitchCustom.jpg


P1010861Stitch.jpg


P1040527Custom.jpg


P1040384Custom.jpg
 
I like 3 and 4 the best. As for suggestions, I use a 10 stop ND filter but mine is a 77mm. I'm fairly certain that a 52mm thread size 10 stop filter is also available (though I haven't actually looked).
The only other option is to wait until it gets darker. At high noon, in partial shade, a 10 stop filter gets me a 30 sec exposure at F/11. Cloudy late afternoon - close to a minute at F11.
Obviously these are highly variable depending on the scene. Just trying to give you an idea of what to expect.
 
Get whatever filter size you can find and an appropriate step-down ring and you are good to go. 52mm is very common and I'd be surprised if a ND wasn't available.
 
Has anyone ever tried those variable ND filters you can get on eBay? I think they consist of 2 polarizing lenses that you rotate to create a varying degree of darkness.

Are they suitable, or should I just get a ND2, ND4 and ND8?
 
From the concrete pipe and those various pipe and cables directing water for private use, and of course the vegetation and rocks, I am guessing these were taken in Taiwan?

I'm sure there are 52mm ND filters. Step down ring is a good money saving way. I myself only have 62mm ND filter because I usually only use my wide angle lens for shots like these, which is 62mm.

Not sure about the over lapping polarized filter trick. ND filter reduces the amount of light but it doesn't change the color. Polarizing filters blocks light from one direction. By over lapping them, you are not allowing light to pass through. I've never tried it before though.
 
Wow good eye, yep Taiwan is where the large waterfall pic was also taken.
 
Not sure about the over lapping polarized filter trick. ND filter reduces the amount of light but it doesn't change the color. Polarizing filters blocks light from one direction. By over lapping them, you are not allowing light to pass through. I've never tried it before though.

I would have the same concern. I generally don't like putting glass in front of my lenses unless it has a specific and intended impact on the image. I've heard about this type of filter, but would be concerned that there were too many variables at play to control the scene adequately. I would go for multiple ND filters and would get enough so that I would not need to stack them to get enough light reduction. Stacked filters can introduce vignetting on wide angle lenses.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom