Watermarks on photos

dearlybeloved

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was wondering if i should put a watermark on my photo and also considering using a pseudonym instead of my real name. what do you guys think about this and what is it that you use?

any pros or cons to use a pseudonym?

thanks

Only if the pseudonym is worked into your overall marketing plan do I think it would be a good idea.

What Sparky said! If you're going to undertake a business venture with a unique name (DBA) then perhaps, but, IMO, for most photographers, you want your work associated with YOU, and not some made-up entity. As for the watermark; if you use the forum search tool, you'll get a pretty clear view of the view of watermarks generally held by members here.

hmmm, i think ill just stick with my name then.

I was wondering if i should put a watermark on my photo and also considering using a pseudonym instead of my real name. what do you guys think about this and what is it that you use?

thanks

My opinion on watermarks is you should make the image so good that when people see it they want to make the effort to find out who made the image, instead of having a ho hum image where you have to force feed your name to them.

I'm not a fan of the way a lot of people use then. To big and to distracting to the image. But I do overlay my signature onto my images sometimes. Not to big and just in the corner.

I was wondering if i should put a watermark on my photo...

I've gone through quite a few watermark styles since I started taking paid clients in 2009. Up until now, all my branding and logo design has been done in-house. Now that I've hired a web designer to makeover my very homemade feeling website, and a graphic designer to help me develop a consistent and coherent logo and brand, I will be developing the watermark that I'll use for the foreseeable future. Here's a few things to consider if you're wanting to use a watermark:

- it should be subtle enough that it doesn't distract from your image.
- don't think for one second that putting a watermark in the corner is going to stop anyone from "borrowing" your images if they want to badly enough.
- the watermark should be simple enough to be memorable, but unique enough that it doesn't look like everything else.
- scribbling out your name in some "cool" font and slapping the word "photography" after it ISN'T a good idea. That's probably the very fastest way, other than posting bad pictures, to scream "amateur."

Just my $0.02. Hope that helps.

I was wondering if i should put a watermark on my photo...

I've gone through quite a few watermark styles since I started taking paid clients in 2009. Up until now, all my branding and logo design has been done in-house. Now that I've hired a web designer to makeover my very homemade feeling website, and a graphic designer to help me develop a consistent and coherent logo and brand, I will be developing the watermark that I'll use for the foreseeable future. Here's a few things to consider if you're wanting to use a watermark:

- it should be subtle enough that it doesn't distract from your image.
- don't think for one second that putting a watermark in the corner is going to stop anyone from "borrowing" your images if they want to badly enough.
- the watermark should be simple enough to be memorable, but unique enough that it doesn't look like everything else.
- scribbling out your name in some "cool" font and slapping the word "photography" after it ISN'T a good idea. That's probably the very fastest way, other than posting bad pictures, to scream "amateur."

Just my $0.02. Hope that helps.

I think those thats are worth more then $0.02

I do line art landscapes thats why I choose to just use my signature. If the image gets printed I print from the master that has no digital signature and sign it by hand.

........I'm not a fan of the way a lot of people use then. To big and to distracting to the image.........

Too big? :lol:

WatermarkFun.jpg

........I'm not a fan of the way a lot of people use then. To big and to distracting to the image.........

Too big? :lol:

WatermarkFun.jpg

Now hold on you did this wrong and it makes you look like an amateur. Instead you need to use a hard to read cursive font and make it pink. Then everyone will know you are a "PRO".

Now hold on you did this wrong and it makes you look like an amateur. Instead you need to use a hard to read cursive font and make it pink. Then everyone will know you are a "PRO".

The only thing I could add that would make me a pro is to make a Facebook link.

dearlybeloved said:

thanks

Very few people need a watermark. Most of the time it's to stroke the ego and give the online community a perception that ones work is so awesome it will be stolen unless a 32 font purple colored watermark is affixed to the image. Where I feel a watermark is beneficial is for those professionals in the wedding and portrait market and I'm not talking about the MWAC's but rather those who are paying taxes and are a licensed business.

I use watermarks in certain situations. For example - ive had work on my motorcycle done by a certain company. At motorcycle shows if I take a picture of a motorcycle and plan on sharing that on either a fb page with that company, or an event page for the event, i dont want them using it without asking (or paying for it). So i watermark it to deter that... Also serves to promote people to look at more of my pics sometimes. Its not a perfect system as watermarks can he removed semi easily.. but thats how I use them. I dont do it to all my photos by any means.

Mine is less of a watermark, more of a "badge". since I AM a part time MWAC amateur pro, I do a lot of my local marketing on facebook. I have a little studio in my home town. So when friends of friends see my photos pop up on their newsfeed because one of their friends has been to my studio, they can see who took the photo, because it says so on the photo.

It is in no way a deterrant to copying - I only upload small images anyway, and the "badge" is often in the middle of a clean white background in the bottom right corner of the image. My 6 year old could clone it out!

One thing I do need is to update the badge, though...it's a bit of a "fancy font write your name" sort of thing...Need something a little better. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back