WB? Did I do better with this one?

frommrstomommy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
quick shot of a friends lil girl to play with wb. how'd I do?

still feels maybe chilly like mentioned before.. so I warmed it a bit more. I think I like the way this one looks. I'm not a fan of the tooo warm pictures I think.

DSC_0115-2 by lovemyhero, on Flickr
DSC_0115 by lovemyhero, on Flickr

The warm edit looks great, on my kindasortacalibrated monitor.

? lol do tell. I have 5 different screens I want to compare images on to see what's going on. I'd like to kindasortacalibrate mine to make sure others are seeing something in the ball park of what I'm seeing.

Personally, I think its a bit too warm... That's not to say I don't like it... I just think an "in between" WB would be better... personally speaking.

I agree, answer's in the middle.

Joe

$baby.jpg

The warm edit looks great, on my kindasortacalibrated monitor.

? lol do tell. I have 5 different screens I want to compare images on to see what's going on. I'd like to kindasortacalibrate mine to make sure others are seeing something in the ball park of what I'm seeing.

I just used the calibration wizard on my monitor/computer. It's not perfect, but it does help. Unfortunately, calibration equipment is a little out of my budget at the moment. Workin' with what I got... have definitely seen an improvement since doing this.

I think Ysarex's edit is the best. The first post by the OP is WAYYY too green. The second is still very yellow'ish to me. I am not a fan of either of those. Ysarex's edit has a better feel to it. Just my $0.02.

Super cute! The only thing I could suggest would be to shoot "eye to eye" with her..
As for calibration, bring 5 color photos to a print house. Go home and after running the calibration wizard.. try to match the color as close as possible.
It might not be super-acurrate but it's certainly cheap enough!

Personally, I think its a bit too warm... That's not to say I don't like it... I just think an "in between" WB would be better... personally speaking.

Joe

View attachment 28331

That looks so good! Can you tell me how you got to this? I was also having issues with parts of her top looking blown and you seemed to have nailed that too!

Super cute! The only thing I could suggest would be to shoot "eye to eye" with her..
As for calibration, bring 5 color photos to a print house. Go home and after running the calibration wizard.. try to match the color as close as possible.
It might not be super-acurrate but it's certainly cheap enough!

Super noob over here.. I don't know what you mean by eye to eye unless you mean down at her level.. which I did do here, or so I think? And then a print house? Clueless. Though I am venturing to say we won't have anything of the sort in my city. lol

FIrst shot is subtly too green. Second shot is subtly too yellow. Ysarex's is probably mathematically close to perfect.

Joe

View attachment 28331

That looks so good! Can you tell me how you got to this? I was also having issues with parts of her top looking blown and you seemed to have nailed that too!

I don't know what software you have available -- I used Photoshop.

There are numerous methods you can use to evaluate skin tones. Of course there's going to be some variation between individuals as well as between races, but there are also averages. One of my favorite and most direct methods is to simply measure the Hue value. In digital photo Hue values range from 0 (red) to 360 (back to red). Moving forward from 0 you're headed for yellow, moving backward from 360 you're headed for blue.

So the first thing I did was measure the values in your second photo. I opened the Color Picker in Photoshop and set the eyedropper to a 5x5 pixel average and sampled areas all over the child's face. I got values too high to be within an average range. I read some values above 30 which is way too yellow. Now I knew what was needed.

I set the mode of your photo to Lab and created a Levels adjustment layer. I then began in the "b" channel to reduce the midpoint value to less than 1 and in the "a" channel to raise the midpoint value above 1. I settled on "a" = 1.04 and "b" = .94. As I proceeded I continued to use the Color Picker to sample Hue values until I was getting values in the mid to high teens up to the mid twenties. For a child like this the average (sRGB color space) should be around 18 to 20.

I noticed the color casts in her top and removed those as a second step. I did a quick selection of her top and used Hue/Saturation to desaturate the white material. You do have some blown spots in her top, I didn't fix them; they're just less obvious with the surrounding colors removed.

Joe

FIrst shot is subtly too green. Second shot is subtly too yellow. Ysarex's is probably mathematically close to perfect.

Derrel said what I was going to say..... :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back