We all have off days, right?

So.. I have question. lol What do you mean by trusting the other focus points vs just using the center? I'm really curious about this.

Emily, I can commiserate. However, I'm sure you're keeping it all in suitable perspective.

I've had one of "those" days some time ago. We were organizing a roof reconstruction for a very particular client. Due to scheduling constraints it had to be started on a particular day. I had the 5-man crew organized, the shipment of materials from three different suppliers on a clear schedule, our insulation contractor on standby, and the weather forecast was for clear weather (we were tearing off the roof down to the rafters, so precipitation was a no-no). That morning, it's semi-cloudy. Radar map shows some kind of front moving in. Got a call from my crew chief - he's sitting in traffic across one of the key bridges, due to an accident somewhere up front. There's no-one on site to organize things - had to drop everything and get there. One worker arrived on time. One got lost - he didn't know that part of the city. One never showed up. The insulation contractor showed up early - and the clock is ticking, on my dime. The first supply truck got there on time, had some difficulty unloading as we didn't have full crew on hand. Second truck - wrong order delivered - had to go back and reload. Third supplier - some kind of mechanical problem... will be arriving "soon". All this time the particular client is watching all this, and being the type of person who expects the worse... is beginning to suspect his fears are about to come through. What should have been a choreographed dance of fine precision was looking like a bad case of Keystone Kops.

It took four or five hours and probably a couple of years off my life to get everything back to a semblance of "normality". And of course, you have to be smiling through all this (smiling through gritted teeth, but smiling nevertheless), so that the client doesn't freak out, and the workers don't quit on the spot. We did manage to recover the schedule and finished more or less on budget. Client was very, very happy with the results. But... I don't know where/when I'm gonna get back those two years of life I burned through to get everything back on track.

Thankfully, these kind of days are rare.

Only Fools and Horses - Sleeping Dogs Lie - IzzieK watch that episode you'll have a laugh! ......
I used to die laughing at Steptoe and Son series which we watched on Oz tv quite a while back...those bumbling Brits slapsticks ones are really good...they were all re-runs like Some Mothers 'Ave Em...love Michael Crawford....hubby will not understand those...just like how he doesn't understand why I love buying magazines whenever the Royals are the cover of a magazines here in the US....:wink:

So.. I have question. lol What do you mean by trusting the other focus points vs just using the center? I'm really curious about this.

The outer points of the 5DMkII aren't reliable. If I want to nail my focus every time, I have to use the center point only.

Yesterday, I was getting tired of recomposing as much as I did, because I wasn't shooting with as much room to crop as I usually do, so I resorted to using outer points to focus, and that was a bad idea, because a large percentage of the images are back focused or soft in some way.

Thankfully, these kind of days are rare.

Let's hope. :lol:

Hmm is this a common problem or pretty isolated to certain camera bodies? I'm really curious now... I of course have random oof shots or sliiightly less than perfect focus and now I wonder but I can't say I can pinpoint to when that happens. lol

Hmm is this a common problem or pretty isolated to certain camera bodies? I'm really curious now... I of course have random oof shots or sliiightly less than perfect focus and now I wonder but I can't say I can pinpoint to when that happens. lol

Generally speaking.

But from what my friend tells me it's much, much better on the 5DMkIII.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back