e.rose

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.emilymcgonigle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had one today. 😞

It was never set up to go well from the beginning.

1. My go-to makeup girl wasn't available for today. My backup makeup girl wasn't available either. So I used someone at the second girl's recommendation

2. My go-to -- I don't even like calling him my "assistant", because he's a better photographer than me, quite frankly -- friend and helper, had a shoot of his own today in another state. So I drug my husband along to hold my reflector for me when needed. It's not like he's inept at holding a reflector, but things don't flow the same way when I'm asking for "my fifty" and he doesn't know which one that is, or I'm needing him to grab more stuff than he walked in with and he's complaining that he has no free hands... whatever.

3. We didn't start on time. And THIS... this was the worst factor of them all, and something I was *already* afraid of going into it.

The MUA I used had a prior engagement, and I knew about it. I knew she wasn't going to get to the client's house until 3:30, and I knew that was going to give her just under an hour and a half to do hair and makeup. I asked her if that was do-able and the answer was yes. Against my better judgement I trusted her and *didn't* book a different makeup artist who *could* get there 30 minutes earlier, and while she did an alright job with hair and a good job with makeup, she took longer than I needed her to.

We were supposed to start hair and makeup at 3:30 and be SHOOTING by 5.

At 5:20 she was still finishing up hair. We left the house at 5:30.

She also called me this morning asking if she was supposed to stay on set the whole time or if she was doing hair and makeup and then leaving. I told her that I usually prefer that my MUA's stay for touch ups, but we compromised and I told her she could leave around 6, since we would probably be to the second location by that point, and she could do another touch up before she left, and pull up the clients hair if needed.

Well, since we left he house at 5:30, we had been shooting for about 10... maybe 20 minutes before she came up to me to touch up the client one last time and then left.

So we started late, and I was racing against the sun the whole time. And then I didn't have an H/MUA for the majority of the shoot, and I *really* could have used her by the end of it.

Then to top it all off, I looked at the images after I came home, and it's like I forgot how to photographer.

I made the dumbass mistake of choosing to trust the other focus points in my camera, instead of just sticking with the center point and re-composing. As a result SOOOOOOOO many images are soft and/or slightly back focused. Add in the fact that I was still attempting to shoot damn near close to sunset, so add motion blur to that mix.

Important thing is the clients were happy, and had a ton of fun. They had no idea I was super stressed out about the whole thing, and I have enough images to pull out from the session to present to them, but they're not as strong as they could have been if I had not been rushed and had time to work.

Ugh. Today was the worst.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

My blood pressure stays low because I don't have to be better than I am at this point. Have a drink on me and relax!

I'm sorry to hear it. I'm sure tomorrow will be better.

Yeah. I have a client meeting tomorrow with a mother and a boy. Which will be interesting. It'll be my first male senior if they book. Haha.

I don't think Mom quite has a handle on what my brand is, since her kid is a sports-type fella, and not so much into the fashion-y dressing up thing. But they came as a referral from another client. So. I'll meet with them, talk to them about what I do, and if they like it, great. If not. Whatevs. :lol:

So I drug my husband along ... It's not like he's inept at holding a reflector, but things don't flow the same way when I'm asking for "my fifty" and he doesn't know which one that is
Maybe try without the drug next time :biglaugh::biglaugh:
Sorry couldn't resist.. :p and don't worry, tomorrow is a new day :)

You beat me to it, Raj...I saw that too and thought of my husband when he gave my dog a doze of calming pill instead of pain pill two weeks ago then thought he was near death...so we have to rush to the animal hospital. I am surprised e.rose's husband can still function (and whined) after being drugged.:confused: :mrgreen:

Only Fools and Horses - Sleeping Dogs Lie - IzzieK watch that episode you'll have a laugh!

ERose - sounds like you need to train your husband up a bit more! I mean if he can't work out which a "fifty" is in the bag he's going to be hopeless at surprising you with the brand new shiny top of the range camera on your birthday/Christmas/anniversary/valentines day even if you staple the make and model to the front of his favourite shirt. ;)

Sorry you had such a hard day hon. But not to worry, we can fix it. First, next time take the other husband along, the one who actually knows what you mean when you ask for a fifty. Either that or buy a cheap label maker or label paper you can print from the computer and print some labels that say 50,85 etc and put them on the rear lens caps. Bam, problem solved.

The MUA, well at first I thought about having her killed, but really that would be over to quickly. So instead we take her name and contact info and tell the local Amway folks she's interested. They will hound her until hell freezes over.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Only Fools and Horses - Sleeping Dogs Lie - IzzieK watch that episode you'll have a laugh!

ERose - sounds like you need to train your husband up a bit more! I mean if he can't work out which a "fifty" is in the bag he's going to be hopeless at surprising you with the brand new shiny top of the range camera on your birthday/Christmas/anniversary/valentines day even if you staple the make and model to the front of his favourite shirt. ;)

That's what wishlists at B+H are for! I've emailed my list to my husband a couple of times!

So far, nothing has come of it. :/

This is why I have no interest in going pro (among other things). Those days when I feel like throwing my camera in the lake would be really bad.

wine time.

Can't have amazing days without a couple crappy ones!
HUGS!

Just reading that had me stressed out. I don't do well if I am not ahead of schedule.

The worst off days are when nothing is really going wrong but the images just aren't coming together the way you want them to. Then it's like, "Well, maybe I'm the problem." lol

At least the clients were happy though, and you can put it behind you.

Most reactions

Back